Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a corner tank and it is a big PITA to light. I am trying to think of other options maybe a smaller light towards the back and then the longer one up front. The sides is what is the difficult part to deal with I have thought about begging my son to make special legs for it but he deals mostly with metals and I know what salt does to metal. I am glad I set it up as a SW instead of an African biotope. I had everything but the fish for the biotope and changed my mind. The light I was going to use for the planted tank has the wrong spectrum for a SW tank so I tucked that away for another tank or if I change my mind on this one. Filtering is another big problem, and is water flow.

Right now a month into my corner tank I would have to say it is worth the hassle.

1 rule is go as big as possible more options and less problems. I started with an 8 gallon nano and have the corner tank which I think is either a 40 or 45 gallon. I love my nano but top offs and maintainance is twice what the bigger tank is.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to sweetshannon
Ok, so I am not doing the corner tank. Thanks for the great advice. I am looking at a 40 or 50 gallon oceanic tank. My question is....is the overflow very helpful? Or should I look for drilled? And is a top necessary? I saw tanks with lights supported above the tank on feet....any tips on what is best for me and for the fish?

sweetshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on what light you get. T5 HO will be fine on legs right above the tank. Metal halide will need to be suspended over the water to reduce heat IMO. If you get an overflow, it will work the same as if you drill it. If you decide to drill, you need to make sure the glass isn't tempered otherwise it will shatter if you try to drill it. There should be a sticker on the bottem telling you whether it is tempered or not. HTH.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com