Problems with corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obmanta - if you go about it as we deicussed earlier in the thread yes you may just add as affordable. Secret is - when you first drain off water from main display - place all rock and corals in large tub with heater and PH's. Add fish and inverts if you have to (I like keeping them seperate). Use only your tank water to house them while reconfiguring tank. Once all CC is out I suggest putting down eggcrate or diffuser grid and building rock up on it. Use cable ties, or epoxy (reefsafe) but get aquascape stabe. Then fill in sand around it. As you add sand later get it wet and rinse in then scoop down to where you want to put it. The wife's cooking ladel (plastic) works well - but don't get caught (mine hollers using cooking stuff in tank). Each time you add you will get a short cycle.

Just FYI - In the begining of this thread I gave a plan for what you needed to do. I see it has gotten off track into the ongoing CC debate. CC an be used in a tank - but requires more maintainance. Also CC does not give near the surface area for bacteria to grow on as a regular oolictic type of sand. Also becuase of CC greater diversity of size water moves through it and you don't develope the oxygen depletes layers needed for denitrifying bacteria to develop. In short for most aquariasts the DSB is easier and safer than a CC bed. That is just a FYI, never said CC won't work, but for overall nitrate reduction DSB is way better!

Dennis

No Problem Dennis:

I bought a 32 gallon garbage container (cleaned out of course). I have 20gallons in it right now pumping. Buying heater for it in about 1 hour. Problem is I followed the directions in the back of Ocianics salt container. 1/2 cup per gallon of water. the salinity is at 1.0255. So a little high but I figure that when all is said and don i might have a total increase after the 20gal at 1.021 in the tank. Next weekend I will get readings on the water chemistry again and change water as you stated. Hope fully in 1 month I will be able to have he right water parameters and then try a coral selection. Oh btw, bought the Aquarium Coral book that was suggested earlier. Big heavy hard cover book.

Sending pictures in the next day or 2. To show before shots. Then will remove the substrait.

Thanks Dennis and all for your help,

Obmanta

That's a great book - I have it in my collection too. Good luck, proceed slowly as you are doing - Remember "nothing good ever happens fast in a saltwater system." It's a adage that was drummed into my head. Well today is water change and maintainance day for me so have work to do.
Keep posting on the progress of your tank.

Dennis

Ok - After 20g water change the tank salinity is 1.023 water temp is 79.8 and I am no longer getting large amounts if skimmate( i guess that is what you guys are calling it.

I am going to wait to take out the CC that is in the tank until I get all of the sand.

This comming saturday, more of the same another 20gal change. I should be at 1.024 or 1.025 salinity.

Obmanta

Back
Top Bottom