Question on corals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to the SW side. My biocube 29 is cycling right now. When I go to the LFS just to look and see what they have. I've noticed that the corals are in a huge tank laid out, little tiny pieces of rock they look like there beautiful but my question is this.

You buy a few, where do you put them? Do they grow? How do they stay? It just looks like a tiny cube of rock. I don't see how it's gonna stay on your rock in your tank. Again I'm soooo new. Inform me!

I'd really like to understand the concept. Or a link. I'll take anything. After leaving the store I looked at my wife and said "man I'm confused!!" she laughed.

EDIT:

Was doing some research and found many many sites that sell all these corals. They all sell special clue. So you just clue them? Do they grow?

Can you put them in the sand? Or do they have to be on the rock?

Sorry for all the questions. Google sometime doesn't give everything your looking for.

Last edited:
Whether you put them on the sand or on the rock depends a lot on what type of coral it is. Some prefer to be on the sand and some are fine up on the rocks, so you would need to get the names of some of the ones you like and look up their care. The flow in the tank makes a difference too, some like faster flow than others, so that is a factor when placing them too. To mount them on rocks, if you have flat areas and no crabs or snails large enough to push them around you can just set them there. I use a small piece of HoldFasT epoxy stick, put a drop of superglue gel on it and attach it to the plug or rock the coral is on then another drop on the side that will be attached to the rock in my tank, immediately push it to the rock you want it mounted to giving it a little twist to make sure it's firmly attached. It works great. If you use this method be sure you use superglue GEL. I use the superglue gel because it allows me to use a much smaller amount of epoxy than I had to use otherwise.

Thanks for the info!! I'm new so I would go with easy I guess newbie corals. Looking some up now. Kind of hard to find. I'm googling corals for beginners.

LiveAquaria.com offers a good selection of beginner corals, and they describe them really well and provide info on how to care for them as well as where they like to be placed in the tank, so you could get a pretty good idea what would be best for you from that too. When you open the site click on corals, then on the left side click on Beg. Corals

moonstreak2005 said:
LiveAquaria.com offers a good selection of beginner corals, and they describe them really well and provide info on how to care for them as well as where they like to be placed in the tank, so you could get a pretty good idea what would be best for you from that too. When you open the site click on corals, then on the left side click on Beg. Corals

Thanks Moon!! Going there now! :)

Man!! I can spend 300 bucks without batting an eye!! Good stuff though! Love the beginner packages. And all the info.

A couple that I suggest staying away from is green star polyps, xenia, keyna tree, blue clove and waving hand. They can take over a small tank and overgrow or irritate other corals. I do have all of those so I know how fast they can take over. If you decide to do green star polyps do it so when it starts growing it is on the sand so you can just peel it off and glue it to a frag plug or throw it out. Xenia moves on its own so there is no way to control that one little head falling off can start a new frag. Blue cloves just takes over a rock and when a piece get ripped off it can float around on the current land and take over another rock. Kenya tree drops off branches and grows all over the place you have to really watch it so your tank doesn't turn into a kenya tree forest. Waving hand basically the same as the green star polyps I haven't had any problem with mine breaking off and floating around like blue cloves. Some mushrooms can take over a tank as well.

I'm a newbie with corals and I have a zoa and a candycane (or trumpet). Both are doing great :D

Another great site for corals is bluezooaquatics.com with free shipping over $140..everything I've gotten from them from corals to fish and even inverts have been super healthy and larger then expected..you can tell they take good care of their livestock and also provide excellent information

Mrc8858 said:
Another great site for corals is bluezooaquatics.com with free shipping over $140..everything I've gotten from them from corals to fish and even inverts have been super healthy and larger then expected..you can tell they take good care of their livestock and also provide excellent information

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom