Regulators & Needle Valves..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been spending a good part of today trying to understand a sump system and how to integrate an automatic top-off.

My question however revolves around a piece of equipment I usually see in freshwater.

Why do I keep seeing pictures of peoples sumps with some sort of compressed gas and a regulator? You don't need CO2 on a reef right?

I am getting ready to sell mine in anticipation of getting rid of the freshwater, but if there is a possibility that I will need a regulator and CO2 tank, Ill hang onto it.

If you ever decide to go with a full blown reef with SPS corals, you would need to dose calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. One way of doing this is with a calcium reactor. Basically you inject co2 into a container holding aragonite media. The co2 drops the pH of the water and starts to dissolve the media which in turn supplements your tank with calcium and alkalinity.

Gotcha.

I really don't think I want to get rid of my CO2 tank and regulators right away then. I probably won't have a need in the near future, but whats the point of selling it at a lose just to possibly buy a new one.

Any other reason you can think of that you would need pressurized gas and a regulator in a setup?

I've heard of people dosing ozone in reef tanks, but I don't know much about it. I don't have any experience with SW.

If you're interested in getting rid of your CO2 stuff, let me know.

No other reason for co2 in a saltwater tank besides a calcium reactor.

Ozone (o3) is totally different. You don't buy ozone in a tank. It's generated electrically and pumped into an ozone reactor, but that's a whole other thread. ;)

Back
Top Bottom