restarting, what brand is good and what should i look for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulrick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
its been 3 years since my setup was dismantle and sold. and now im looking at some websites for products that i would need to restart a whole new tank and im lost, soo many new brands and newer tech that i dont know what is good and which is bad other than $$$ is ganna be alot for what i want.

can anyone do a quick write up for the basic items/brand i would needto setup a 300 gallon tank with a mid -size reef

wet-dry, overflow filter, which brand
heater, which brand
lights, which brand
power heads, i used hagen 802 wiht ceramic shaft for a long time,are they still good or is there better.
test kit, like a whole master kit to test ph nit,amo and all the good stuff.
main pump for wet/dry
protein skimmer, i had an old hob coralife skimmer and i liked it, did a great job but same question, is there better or newer tech that i should read and look into it.

$$$ is on a decent budget, not going very very crazy like i would but i do have limits lol. btw im putting this tank inside a wall division in the house, betwen the living room and the kitchen, so dont worry about canopy size and stand size, i got a whole wall to work with

Filter - None, I would have the tank drilled for "reef ready" drainage and simply have a sump below the tank. Bio-filtration would be handled by liverock in the display tank.

Heater - Maybe 2 500w titanium heaters

Lights - Depends on livestock you want to keep.

Powerheads - I would run a modest amount of water through the sump and then plumb a larger pump to run a closed loop through a hole(s) drilled in the display to a manifold on top of the tank.

Test Kit - I use a Seachem master kit, with additional calcium test kit.

Protein Skimmer - Build your own, or if you are inexperienced and have the cash look for the larger model Euroreef, etc.

It's hard to gauge how to help you since you mention a "decent" budget but want a 300g reef tank. It will be expensive, multiple thousands and up.

If you want to know costs on a tank of that size, you can ask Quarryshark or Brenden. They can give you a pretty good estimate on what they spent. QS - 210G and Brenden - 525G. 300G will fall somewhere in between that number.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom