should i add lr?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvanderborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tanks been cycling for 3 days. Levels are salinity 1.021 ammonia 0 nitrates/trites 0 temp is 78 ph is 8.2 (lights off) 8.4 (lights on) and yea. After work I plan on picking up maybe a 6lb piece to start with. But should I add it this soon? Thanks in advance everyone.

From those numbers I don't think your cycle has started yet. You need ammonia source. And you should always add all your rock before your cycle. Get all rock in ASAP and throw in a cocktail shrimp or even some pure household ammonia to give ammonia spike to kick start cycle.

Important: don't use pure ammonia if have any type of livestock. Liverock is ok tho. Only do few capfuls just to get ammonia reading. Safer is the cocktail shrimp but will take longer for ammonia spike

You should add all live rock now, so that it all cycles at the same time. Adding rock later will just drag out the cycle and adding rock while you have livestock is very dangerous because it could cause spikes that can kill things.

I picked up 2 pieces today weighing about 8lbs total. I don't really have extra $$ to pick up as much as id like so until I get paid again this is what I'm workin with. I just need this to cycle fast so I can get my dottyback away from my mean yellowtail. They will meet again but I think wit the extra space and introducing the tang last I have a better chance of success.

Spikes in ammonia. Live rock is covered with dead things when it comes from the LFS, unless it's truly cured. What size tank is this?

Its a 55 gal fowlr. Or its going to be. Haha. Ammo spikes makes sense. But with my 25 I started with like 10lbs and moved upto about 25lbs and I added that all piece by piece and never had any spikes. Maybe I just got lucky. :/

I would skip the tang. A 55 is not a big enough tank to keep one for very long. If you are going to get one anyway, I would buy a tiny scopus or kole tang. The rest are big swimmers, and will be stressed to be in such a small environment.

I already have a yellow tail in my 25 gal. Dropped off by a customer at my work because he was moving and couldn't take it with him. And I figured it had better odds with me at home than at my work (I work at petco) but what your telling me is I might as well just get rid of this then because even when I get my 55 up it still won't be good enough. Ill start contactin some of my lfs and find someone to take him then.

Hi, my lfs labels dorie as a regal tang. When you buy your live rock at your lfs ask them if it's fully cured, you'll know if it's not because when you pick up a piece of rock and it smells funny it's not fully cured yet. It's been a while since I bought some but I think it'll have any eggy smell to it. My lfs won't sell any live rock until its fully cured.

Regardless of whatever common name it might be called here or there there's a picture on my album 25 reef. She's clearly identifyable in it.

And even at 2 inch a 55 is too small for that? And mr-X I've noticed your very good with ids. I got a leather coral in my 25 that I'm not quite sure of its actual name... think you could possibly give me an id? I know the ones a toadstool but the other is like purple and spikey and idk what it is. Lol. There's pics in my album 25 reef.

It will do fine in the 55 for now but they get large. I wanted one until I figured out how big they get. Just have to get a bigger tank :)

EriksFish315 said:
It will do fine in the 55 for now but they get large. I wanted one until I figured out how big they get. Just have to get a bigger tank :)

I would say why stress fish by trying to catch him down the road.

Back
Top Bottom