Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Started a 125 Gallon Salt Water Reef Tank

I just started a 125 gallon salt water reef tank on Oct 8th. I have completed one week of cycling which included two jumbo raw shrimps. I have two wave makers, 30 gallon Emerale sump, and very good Hydra LED lighting. I have very good flow in the tank. The lights are turned off and heater is around 80F. After one week the shrimp is almost dissolved. I have about 30 pounds of live rock. After Day 4 I have not noticed an ammonia spike or nitrite increase. They are both at 0ppm. I may have missed in between Day 0 and 4. I have noticed a Nitrate increase of 10ppm. pH is at 8 and salinity is at 1.025.
Is everything progressing well in the cycling stage? The water is nice and clear. I plan to do a water change in the next few days. Any suggestions on the next step.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaymark View Post
I just started a 125 gallon salt water reef tank on Oct 8th. I have completed one week of cycling which included two jumbo raw shrimps. I have two wave makers, 30 gallon Emerale sump, and very good Hydra LED lighting. I have very good flow in the tank. The lights are turned off and heater is around 80F. After one week the shrimp is almost dissolved. I have about 30 pounds of live rock. After Day 4 I have not noticed an ammonia spike or nitrite increase. They are both at 0ppm. I may have missed in between Day 0 and 4. I have noticed a Nitrate increase of 10ppm. pH is at 8 and salinity is at 1.025.
Is everything progressing well in the cycling stage? The water is nice and clear. I plan to do a water change in the next few days. Any suggestions on the next step.
Well for 125g tank you are going to need more then 2 shrimp to get a good ammonia reading on fresh clean water. Dont bother with a water change until the tank is fully cycled you will just waste salt.

Take 4 shrimp put them in a filter sock and leave them in for 1 day, test ammonia, leave them in another day and test ammonia. They shouldnt be left in there for a week after 2-3 days swap them out with new ones.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
Well for 125g tank you are going to need more then 2 shrimp to get a good ammonia reading on fresh clean water. Dont bother with a water change until the tank is fully cycled you will just waste salt.

Take 4 shrimp put them in a filter sock and leave them in for 1 day, test ammonia, leave them in another day and test ammonia. They shouldnt be left in there for a week after 2-3 days swap them out with new ones.

OK. I will remove the old shrimp that is decomposing and add four more jumbo shrimps. I will test after day 1 and day 2. I will let you know the readings. Any reason why my Nitrate level is at 10ppm? I would think my tank is cycled since I have nitrate showing up.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If your rock was live with a bacteria base in it already, it is possible to not detect any ammonia or nitrites due to them consuming it and converting to nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If your rock was live with a bacteria base in it already, it is possible to not detect any ammonia or nitrites due to them consuming it and converting to nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
OK. Then the cycle is working. So you want me to add four jumbo shrimps after Day 1, test for ammonia. If none is present then test for Day 2. If we see a spike we want to see how long it will take for ammonia to come down to 0ppm. I was told it should drop within 24 hours. Then check for Nitrites after. Please explain.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaymark View Post
OK. Then the cycle is working. So you want me to add four jumbo shrimps after Day 1, test for ammonia. If none is present then test for Day 2. If we see a spike we want to see how long it will take for ammonia to come down to 0ppm. I was told it should drop within 24 hours. Then check for Nitrites after. Please explain.
I would continue to do this and let them multiply. They may be able to consume the amount of ammonia from the shrimp in that volume of water but they may not be able to handle a heavy fish load. If it was me I would see if it converts again in 24hrs if so I would had a very small bioload and add slowly. Remember that you will basically be doing a "safe" fish in cycle becaues yes the tanks cycled but the number of bacteria arnt there for a large amount of conversion. So be careful with how much you add. if you over whelm the bacterial population you will start seeing ammonia and ammonia kills saltwater fish easily.

To me its concerning that you have 10ppm Nitrate already. I could go a month without a water change in my sw tanks fully stocked and not have 10ppm nitrate.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have added four raw shrimp and I will measure for ammonia tomorrow evening. I will let you know what the reading is. I hope to get a spike if not I will measure on day two. I do see small stuff forming on the live rock. I have good circulation of water and the pump is cleaning the tank well. My skimmer is also skimming as I can see small brownish dirt inside the cup. The tank is progressing well just like to see some reading on the ammonia and nitrite. Keep you posted. Thanks for the advise.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may not be seeing any ammonia because your skimmer is running. I would turn the skimmer off.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Fish R friends, not food!

I would dose with pure ammonia and then test every day. That is the only way to be sure what your levels of ammonia are....That's just my take on it.....
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
You may not be seeing any ammonia because your skimmer is running. I would turn the skimmer off.
OK. I will turn it off this evening. I will do a quick measurement to see what the ammonia level is at. I will do a check on Day 2 with protein skimmer off.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, ate, gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, salt water, star, start, started, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com