started. stopped. STARTED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After many starts and stops I'm finally going. Awful I know.

This is what I can't decide.... a 20g or 40g. I know most people will say go bigger but I'm not sure it is worth the energy. I currently have the 20g stand and tank. I like the layout of a 40g. I'm struggling to find a stand for the 40. The ones petco/smart/lfs offer are crazy expensive and DYI means I will lose a finger and a couple of nails. Ha. IF I can find a suitable replacement stand for the 40 I will do it. Otherwise I've got the 20.

What I do have!

750 koralia power head
50 lbs of caribsea base rock
305 fluval filter
30g HOB filter
30 lbs of Pfs
120w taotronics dimmable led fixture
A bottle of ammonia

The rock, fixture, and ph are being shipped via amazon.

Not sure of stocking as it depends on the tank. Any ideas?

Yea!!! It's starting!! :) so exciting, isn't it??!!
A few things:
The light will work fine for corals. Many people on here have them and like them. You'll have to fiddle with the dimming at first to find the right strength for your corals so they don't get burned. Just don't start at 100% right off the bat. How high your fixture needs to be will depend in the tank dimensions. Hang it high enough that the light covers the whole tank and isn't just spilling onto the floor/ stand.
The 750 ph might be a little much for a 20g. In my 30g, I have a 500 and a 250, and that seems to be good. In a 40, the 750 would be ok, but I would add another one to help make random flows and prevent dead areas.
The tv stand looks ok, might be a little low for viewing, though. And I'm not sure where you could put the filter or sump without tearing out the center brace, which wouldn't be a great idea. :/ The drawers would be good for storing testing supplies, food, etc, though.
A lot of people are very against canister filters For sw. I have one, and my tank is fine. It just needs to be cleaned weekly to prevent nitrate build-up. Only takes me 10-15 min to clean it. I have the Fluval 406 on my 55g reef. Iw ould use the canister and change the 30 hob filter into A mini refugium. What brand hob is it? I did that with an aqua clear 30. It was easy, let me know it you need help with that.
50lb of rock for a 20 might be a little much. Lol. Can always save some of it for when/if you upgrade, and lets face it, almost all of us do! Lol.
BTW, ya got a heater? Test kits? To start you'll need ammo, nitrite and nitrate during the cycle.
You're almost ready to set up!! Let us know what other questions you have!!

Make sure it's all wood and you be fine. The TV stands are great. I will say that it's a bit on the low side. Which was ok for me because my daughter is only 4 and I wanted her to be able to see every thing.

For lights....some may think I'm crazy but I am running 4

image-3406862751.jpg

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...0051&productId=3122291&store=0086&view=detail

With 23w 6500k CFL light bulbs. Also from lowes

Tank is planted and doing well. I'm of adding two lights just to have better coverage.(lights are just resting on the glass) or hanging what I have 2 maybe 3 inches off the glass. Just haven't decided.

I do have a thread on it. "My 40g ram build begins" you can find it under my
Posts. Sry on my phone or I would link it for you.

Yea!!! It's starting!! :) so exciting, isn't it??!!
A few things:
The light will work fine for corals. Many people on here have them and like them. You'll have to fiddle with the dimming at first to find the right strength for your corals so they don't get burned. Just don't start at 100% right off the bat. How high your fixture needs to be will depend in the tank dimensions. Hang it high enough that the light covers the whole tank and isn't just spilling onto the floor/ stand.
The 750 ph might be a little much for a 20g. In my 30g, I have a 500 and a 250, and that seems to be good. In a 40, the 750 would be ok, but I would add another one to help make random flows and prevent dead areas.
The tv stand looks ok, might be a little low for viewing, though. And I'm not sure where you could put the filter or sump without tearing out the center brace, which wouldn't be a great idea. :/ The drawers would be good for storing testing supplies, food, etc, though.
A lot of people are very against canister filters For sw. I have one, and my tank is fine. It just needs to be cleaned weekly to prevent nitrate build-up. Only takes me 10-15 min to clean it. I have the Fluval 406 on my 55g reef. Iw ould use the canister and change the 30 hob filter into A mini refugium. What brand hob is it? I did that with an aqua clear 30. It was easy, let me know it you need help with that.
50lb of rock for a 20 might be a little much. Lol. Can always save some of it for when/if you upgrade, and lets face it, almost all of us do! Lol.
BTW, ya got a heater? Test kits? To start you'll need ammo, nitrite and nitrate during the cycle.
You're almost ready to set up!! Let us know what other questions you have!!

Lol!!!! I over did it a tad. :) go big or go home right? Lol!!
I have a test kit. But no heater. My apartment tends to be really warm. I'd love more info on converting the hob!

I'm starting to lean away from the TV stand altogether. I found a lfs that has a 40b stand for 60. Its a lightweight metal stand of some sort. It has space underneath for a sump ;) how perfect. Lol.

Do you think I can wiggle by without the 305 (a sump will be a few months off)?

Make sure it's all wood and you be fine. The TV stands are great. I will say that it's a bit on the low side. Which was ok for me because my daughter is only 4 and I wanted her to be able to see every thing.

For lights....some may think I'm crazy but I am running 4

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3122291&store=0086&view=detail

With 23w 6500k CFL light bulbs. Also from lowes

Tank is planted and doing well. I'm of adding two lights just to have better coverage.(lights are just resting on the glass) or hanging what I have 2 maybe 3 inches off the glass. Just haven't decided.

I do have a thread on it. "My 40g ram build begins" you can find it under my
Posts. Sry on my phone or I would link it for you.

Lol me too! I shall look it up! Thank you my dear.

A month or so ago my bf broke my 150. Its currently sitting in storage awaiting repair. I'm thinking a summer project as I'm not interested in putting in the work now.

He said that he was going to pay to have the tank fixed (he's a sweetheart).

All of that being said I asked him today if he would like to buy the tank and stand for the 40b instead of fixing the 150. He agreed! All of that nonsense being said......

I'll be doing a 40b tank and eventually a 20g sump! I think I need more rock! :) now I can think about stocking. Maybe.

Awesome!!!! You'll be so much happier with the 40B vice the 20. I had my 20L running for about two months and then kicked myself in the hind parts for not just going with a 40B like I first wanted to. More room for scaping, coral placement, more water volume, and of course more room for fish buddies.

I have a 40B in storage now that I'm going to drill and then build a stand to go with it once the weather gets better outside since I don't have a garage.

Awesome!!!! You'll be so much happier with the 40B vice the 20. I had my 20L running for about two months and then kicked myself in the hind parts for not just going with a 40B like I first wanted to. More room for scaping, coral placement, more water volume, and of course more room for fish buddies.

I have a 40B in storage now that I'm going to drill and then build a stand to go with it once the weather gets better outside since I don't have a garage.

Lol!! I thought about a 20l too. Warm weather *drools* can't wait. Good for you for building the stand!

Alright! Power head came in yesterday!

Rocks will be here today!

All the way from China, the lights will be here tomorrow!

I have NO idea on when the tank will be purchased though. :( the bf said I must wait.

..... the lights came in today. I was at first very disappointed with the size of the box. I was expecting a larger box!

The fixture looks amazing. I feel like a man with his toys! (Plus I had just washed my mustang, I feel so masculine)! The lights are blinding!! I cannot get over how bright they are!

As a reminder it is the 120w taotronics dimable fixture. Also I can't figure out how to hang it

"I have NO idea on when the tank will be purchased though. the bf said I must wait."

Tell him not to wait. Petco dollar per gallon sale is on until the 19th of the month. You will get the tank for 40$ vs. 129$. That's a no brainer! If he says no. You need to trade him in. Lol

Lol! Its a money thing right now. I originally told him not to worry about the tank and then surprised him. Oh well.

He said maybe end of this month or early next month. That is not soon enough for me. So I asked him if he could just buy the stand for now. He said that may be possible. If he does that then I will buy the tank myself.

The reason why is everything I ordered is already here!!! The rocks are in my leasing office as they were delivered while I was not home. I'm excited to see what they look like as I wasn't able to see them.

Did I mention the lights were bright? Lol!!

A couple of questions:
1. Do I need the 305? I've got 50lbs of base rock, 750 power head, and a hob?
2. How do I hand the lights? I've looked online but am drawing a blank
3. Has anyone had any problems with the taotronics catching fire? I scared myself while trying to find info on hanging them.
4. Is using PETCO brand salt okay for the cycle?

Lol! Its a money thing right now. I originally told him not to worry about the tank and then surprised him. Oh well.

He said maybe end of this month or early next month. That is not soon enough for me. So I asked him if he could just buy the stand for now. He said that may be possible. If he does that then I will buy the tank myself.

The reason why is everything I ordered is already here!!! The rocks are in my leasing office as they were delivered while I was not home. I'm excited to see what they look like as I wasn't able to see them.

Did I mention the lights were bright? Lol!!

A couple of questions:
1. Do I need the 305? I've got 50lbs of base rock, 750 power head, and a hob?
2. How do I hand the lights? I've looked online but am drawing a blank
3. Has anyone had any problems with the taotronics catching fire? I scared myself while trying to find info on hanging them.
4. Is using PETCO brand salt okay for the cycle?

If you have he LR and a good skimmer, that would work, but if you don't have a skimmer, I would use the 305, as least until you get a skimmer (IF you want one).
Don't know how to hang the lights. I thought it came wit a hanging kit.
Never heard if any taotronics catching fire. Interesting.
I didn't realize Petco has their own salt brand. It would probably be ok. Most start with instant ocean, then some change from there to Kent's or others.

If you have he LR and a good skimmer, that would work, but if you don't have a skimmer, I would use the 305, as least until you get a skimmer (IF you want one).
Don't know how to hang the lights. I thought it came wit a hanging kit.
Never heard if any taotronics catching fire. Interesting.
I didn't realize Petco has their own salt brand. It would probably be ok. Most start with instant ocean, then some change from there to Kent's or others.

Aye. I've been thinking about a skimmer and rodi unit. Not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment. Silly I know. The cycle will take some time so I will think about it. Just not sure if I wanna run the 305.

I have to do some price shopping on salt. I'll let you know what I decide to do. The bank has been dead lately so I'll have plenty of time to research. Lol I have tons if paperwork to catch up on.

Couple of upcoming fish projects. Moving my 110g freshwater, tearing down my 20g freshwater, and once purchases painting the back of the 40g.

"I have NO idea on when the tank will be purchased though. the bf said I must wait."

Tell him not to wait. Petco dollar per gallon sale is on until the 19th of the month. You will get the tank for 40$ vs. 129$. That's a no brainer! If he says no. You need to trade him in. Lol

I second this, taking advantage of the Petco dollar per gallon sale is a major savings point. The math tells it all.

Ha. To him wasted money is wasted money. Right now the timing is not right. I may by the tank and wait on the stand.

Question: I've got used sand from a freshwater tank that was never treated with meds. Can I put it in the 40b? The reason I ask is because the silicates are all burned out and I don't want to go through diatoms again to that extent.

Crazy stoopid question :

How do you do a water change without exposing your live rock and coral??

When I do PWCs, the very tips of rock might be exposed for a few minutes, but that won't hurt. Also, many corals are exposed to the air during low tide for hours, they close and produce a slime coating to protect themselves. Just don't expose ones that aren't supposed to be exposed to air at all, like sponges.

Lol good to know! I can't trade him in.... I love him! Lol!

Alright I will keep that in mind while I do my rock scape.

Speaking of which my leasing office lost fifty pounds of rock! I spent half the day hunting for it..... the rocks were under the managers desk. Once I get the tank I'll know if A. I need more rock and B. if I want to break up a few pieces.

Back
Top Bottom