Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Should I bother to turn on lighting at all during cycling? Seems like it would only promote algae growth.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
beyond that bacterias grow well in the darkness! Since that what you're trying to get I personally don't think it's a bad idea to keep a tank dark while cycling, but I have no proof that it helps... Maybe someone who has more experience can chime in and say for sure. In my freshwater aquarium though i wrapped a towel around it to keep it dark and it cycled in less than 3 weeks! (also had a heater and one of those bio-wheel thingys)

Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #33

Did another test today, seems like it's cycling normally. Haven't gotten my ammonia spike yet, though.

Ammonia 0.25 ppm
PH 8.2
Nitrite 5.0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
SG 1.024
Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

One nice thing about cycling without lights is less algae when it is cycled.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #35

Been a week now since my tank has been cycling, ammonia is still around .025. The nitrites and nitrates are still off the charts at 5.0ppm and 160ppm. I have a feeling the spike should happen soon and the numbers will start to fall. Not too worried though, I'm patient. Besides, it gives me more time to research the fish I want.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #36

Live Rock Die off

The live rock has been curing in my tank for a week, and I am noticing a significant amount of die-off all over the bottom of my sand bed. I realized too late that I should've cycled the live rock differently before starting. So I'm wondering the best way I can get rid of the die off after all of the live rock is cycled and how much of a water change should I do before I get my clean up crew? At this point, i'm going to keep it cycling in my tank until it is fully cured and ammonia / nitrites levels are at zero. How much of a water change should I start with and how often? I'd like to get as much of that waste out that I can. So far I've only used around an hour of lighting total in a week of cycling, and zero water changes, only top off around 10%. Will doing a huge water change ruin my cycle?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
yeah if youre doing a fishless cycle you shouldnt do pwc's just topoffs so +1 there. I would suggest using a gravel vac to get rid of the die off... anything left after that I would assume your CUC will get, but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on that part of your post.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #38

Ahhh, finally my tank is almost done cycling! I've been doing tests daily and the numbers are dropping drastically.

Nitrate went from 160ppm to 80 to 20 to now 5ppm.
Nitrite went from 5ppm for a week straight to 2ppm to now 0.25ppm
Ammonia has been at 0 for a few days now.

Once nitrites hit zero I'm going to leave it for 2-3 more days and then add a clean up crew. Any advice on what to start with since the tank won't have much for them to eat yet?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the same filter. emporer 400? I was wondering if I could use it for a 30 gallon sw tank.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
I have the same filter. emporer 400? I was wondering if I could use it for a 30 gallon sw tank.
You sure can, are you going to add live rock as well?

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com