Starting a Salwater Tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband is wanting me to start a saltwater tank, but we don't have any more room for any more tanks.

I do have a 6 gallon eclipse(acrylic) tank that I could use. Is this sufficient equipment for a nice saltwater tank? Too small?

The filter is built right into the hood with a bio-wheel. Nothing spectacular. Just your basic eclipse system.

that small is really not adviseable for someone new to saltwater. It is very difficult to maintain stability in a small tank.

Yeah, even if you did keep something like that more than likely you would get bored with it. Get a nice 55 gallon kit to start. Common and a good sized starter, unless you want to go bigger. :p

I started salt water with a eclipse 6 myself. I put 10#'s of live sand and 7#'s of live rock in there. It had a water volume of about 5 gallons. Remove the bio wheel though. I kept a juvenile false perc, 2 peppermints, 2 nassarius snails and 2 astrea snails. I did 25% water changes weekly. Evaporation was quite minimal due to the tight fit of the eclipse hood. It worked out pretty good for 4 months, that's when I talked the wife into a larger tank finally. It's now a nice QT tank when needed.

Thanks everyone. The 6 gallon is upstairs next to our bed and he really like the beautiful corals, mushrooms and fish.

I will just leave it the way it is with my shrimps and frogs. :D

like they said also...youll be like me...set up a 10 gallon love it so much and now im planning on 3 more sw tanks. 2 being seahorses and one being whatever i feel like.

trust me youll want a bigger tank if you try it lol. then youll have to buy everyuthing all over again.....

Back
Top Bottom