Starting my first saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So anyway were building a new hosts and want to be moved there April 1st. I'm allowed to get a saltwater tank for the new living room. What would be a good tank size for a pair of clownfish as the main focus. What type of lighting would I need to be able to keep a sea anemone and maybe a few softies? Ill be short on cash, so how much would this set up cost? Also I don't have a clue about saltwater so I'll prob need lots of help.

You could do a 20long, 30, 40, or 60gl cube.

The 20long would be the cheapest in general to run. The 30 would give you the chance to add 1-2more fish and more space for coral and fish to swim but would cost more in general.

Not including tank, you could probably set up a 20 for:
Sand-$20-30
Rock 20lbs-$6.00x20=$120
Lighting could go from $200-500 depending on fixture and type of lighting.
Skimmer(optional)-$200 to 250

For filtration a power filter could work at around $50 but I like the sump.

Power heads 2x$40-50

I'd say between 750-1000 total on the initial setup not including salt, corals, fish, other small stuff, ect.

Or you could just get an all in one aquarium like the Biocube 29 gallon ($265) and grow zoas, mushrooms, and an anemone (still not sure if it would be enough light for a nem). You could split the price of the rock by .25 % by getting 1/2 lb/ gallon of pukani dry rock. I got 100 lbs for my 70 gallon tank and only used 3/4 of it and I probably could have used less! They are big pieces of rock, so you can ask for smaller pieces. Gorgeous, porous, rock..no pests and cheaper! I'd go with dry rock vs. LR if you're on a tight budget. No protein skimmer (which means more water changes), and a powerhead ($25). You will also need a stand or some type of furniture that will support about 400 lbs. That comes out to be about $380 (w/out stand and livestock)

obscurereef said:
Or you could just get an all in one aquarium like the Biocube 29 gallon ($265) and grow zoas, mushrooms, and an anemone (still not sure if it would be enough light for a nem). You could split the price of the rock by .25 % by getting 1/2 lb/ gallon of pukani dry rock. I got 100 lbs for my 70 gallon tank and only used 3/4 of it and I probably could have used less! They are big pieces of rock, so you can ask for smaller pieces. Gorgeous, porous, rock..no pests and cheaper! I'd go with dry rock vs. LR if you're on a tight budget. No protein skimmer (which means more water changes), and a powerhead ($25). You will also need a stand or some type of furniture that will support about 400 lbs. That comes out to be about $380 (w/out stand and livestock)

I'm willing to pay 200$ so I'll try to get some deals on stuff. I'm only 13 and I make 5$ a week.

I hate to say it but that's not gonna go very far if you wanna keep corals and the cost of keeping it running is gonna be more the $5 a week. : /

Mrc8858 said:
I hate to say it but that's not gonna go very far if you wanna keep corals and the cost of keeping it running is gonna be more the $5 a week. : /

I don't have to keep corals. I thought clown fish had to have an anemone though :/. Maybe I could get my parents to pay for some of it.

Sillyfishies said:
I don't have to keep corals. I thought clown fish had to have an anemone though :/. Maybe I could get my parents to pay for some of it.

Nah, clowns will be fine without a nem. They'll host a rock or some other weird thing. :)

Sillyfishies said:
A few months after we move I turn 14 so I can work at burger king so I can afford the weekly

Can't you find some odd jobs now like mow yards or pull weeds to get you there faster :)

Mrc8858 said:
Can't you find some odd jobs now like mow yards or pull weeds to get you there faster :)

I mow. And there's only rich people around me so they have professionals do that stuff. And the 5$ a week is from mowing

Sillyfishies said:
I mow. And there's only rich people around me so they have professionals do that stuff. And the 5$ a week is from mowing

Wow that must be a really small yard or some really stingy people lol. Have you asked if your parents will work out an allowance deal with you and tell them its going into the tank to make the living room look better so its win win ;)

CRAIGSLIST!!! :lol: If you don't want to buy something expensive & new, buy it used & cheap. You can get a stand, tank, sump & accessories at $200 I'd imagine, for a 20 or 30 gallon tank. If you do get one, before you buy it, make sure that it's worth the money and check for chips in the glass/acrylic. Ask questions like "how old is this tank?", "Who is the original owner?" etc. I got my 70 gallon glass tank, plumbing & pump (although that part was useless), and acrylic sump, one bulb light fixture, bulbs, and stand all for $260. AndrewPistol, I believe her name is...:)eek: hope I didn't mess that up), just bought a 150 gallon tank, sump, stand, and accessories for $100! You just have to find a great deal and negotiate for sure! If you find something and you want to check if it's a good deal or rip off, go ahead, post it! :)

Agreed keep on eye Craigslist I got a BioCube 29 with chemicals for 100$ then I found a lady giving away 40pounds of rock/sand 2 clown fish and a goby, for 100$.

Good luck!

I just got a 90 gallon great set up with built in sump and a 250$ skimmer with 75lbs LR and some other stuff all for 350$ :) just keep looking. I've seen a few 29 gallons for 150$

I would try to increase the chores around the house and maybe work for one like that and go halves with your parents.
They may enjoy a small tank with some nice fish if you have talked to them about it?

Mrc8858 said:
Wow that must be a really small yard or some really stingy people lol. Have you asked if your parents will work out an allowance deal with you and tell them its going into the tank to make the living room look better so its win win ;)

2 acre yard. And "Allowance is for ungrateful and spoiled children". It's great. Thanks everyone for the advice! Anyway in a 20 long what else could I add other then a pair of clownfish? Any gobys or starfish? I know nothing about saltwater

obscurereef said:
I'd say look at some of the AA articles as they are very informational/helpful when starting up a saltwater tank.
Quick stats on fish, inverts, corals, etc.
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Another online store:
Buy Saltwater Fish & Coral - Marine Fish, Live Coral, Salt Water Aquarium Fish, and Tropical Fish from BlueZooAquatics

Any articles on how I actually set up my tank? Do I put salt in before or after the waters in the tank?

You need to mix the salt separately in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead for each water change too. Salt that is undissolved will harm fish! Never add salt directly to your tank!! Probably won't remember this, but just in case, when your water evaporates, you must add RO/DI water (no salt, just freshwater) to the tank because what happens is the water evaporates while the salt stays behind, raising the salinity so you have to bring it back down by adding freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom