starting over...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't keep any corals alive because there is too much of some chemical in my tank. I have run numerous tests and still can't find the culprit. I'm going to take all of my fish and corals to my lfs to recoup, and do a complete water change with RO water. I then plan on letting my tank run its 6 week biological cycle all over again. Is it safe to leave my live rock in the tank during the process?

If you haven't found a chemical how do you know there is one? I don't mean to sound rude but before you break down your tank, IMO it could be a number of things harming your corals. I am no expert in corals, but mabye you don't have enough light, calcium, or there are other animals harming your corals.

Your not rude at all i love all helping replies, however my LFS guy tested my water for an hour with many many tests and we were unable to find any porbloms so far nothing has lived in my tank and I have plenty of light for what ive done. Ive done many poloyps, and toadstool, and a brain all which become slimey after night one and slowly head down the deepend. He recomended that I may want to start over...any ideas

Did you test for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium? Also are you dosing anything? I know to much Iodine will kill your corals. If your not testing for elements you may be lacking them, and your corals aren't getting what they need. Also do you have low nitrates? Could you post your parameters possibly?

Yea im dosing calcium, and i was dosing iodine but havent been for 2 weeks. However, My LFS guy tested everything and said he had no idea, my nitrates are 0. I'm going to the other LFS tommorow and hes gonna run some tests for me, this guy is real good so i'll keep you updated you guys are the best

Id say to much Iodine. unless your testing it don't dose it. Sicne you don't know it it already is.

Back
Top Bottom