Stocking help? What would you want in a big tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In a week or two I'll be getting a 125g tank and start my first ever saltwater aquarium! I'm pretty excited. I'm experienced with freshwater, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stocking a SW tank. I'm so used to knowing which fish are compatible and which fish are right for the tank size!
So! How about some suggestions? You could give me what you'd do in a 125 if you had one empty right now, or suggest what you'd think would be best for a SW beginner.
The tank is going to go in our living room, and my mom wants "colorful" fish. :>

I have no definite plans for it, although it will likely be FOWLR,

I wished you had your tank up and running I have a lemonpeel that would love a nice new home. It would do best with larger fish since it is an angel with the devils attitude.

I would go with a sailfin tang they are so pretty to me and graceful.
A rabbitfish of some sort maybe a foxface.

Last edited:
Are you going for a peaceful tank...or a semi-aggressive/predator tank?

You could definitely look at some triggers, groupers, wrasses, dottybacks and puffers. They are all semi-aggressive carnivores (very colorful) that are probably much easier to keep than tangs. But tangs are awesome too, they're just high maintenance :)

Probably going to go for a semi-aggressive tank. That's usually what I go for in freshwater and they have a ton of personality.
Lemonpeel are such pretty angelfish! Trust me, I wish I had it up and running now too.
I love triggers, they're probably my favorite SW fish at the moment. I'm definitely planning on one.

Triggers are aggressive more so than semi aggressive.

I was thinking maybe a humu trigger since I've heard they aren't as aggressive as other triggers.

All triggers are aggressive lol. I wouldn't put them with smaller fish. My Picasso so far is very docile though and my blue jaw has even been beat up by my yellow tang..

I'm probably not going to get any small fish, or any fish that could potentially be a meal for another, etc.

Just saying lol. A 125 could make for a semi-aggressive/aggressive tank. Triggers, tangs, maybe an angel, eels, a harlequin tusk, you have some choices for a beautiful tank. with a strong skimmer of course with fish like these lol

I just went to see the guy I'm buying the tank from and it was up and running and looked great! He's selling it to me with the stand, two sumps, a large protein skimmer and a lot of other accessories and supplies. They only hardware I'm going to have to get is a canopy/lighting system, but that won't be too bad. He's also giving me a large amount of sand and water.
Any other fish suggestions would be great! I'll start a new thread for the build process once I get it in the house, which should be within the week.

Back
Top Bottom