Store Sand or Beach Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whelp I need to get new sand for my tank again. So the choice is between store bought sand or beach sand. Debating over this since store sand cost $$$ money, while beach sand I can just go get for free. The only thing making me think about this is that store sand looks a bit nicer, the ones at the store are much finer and less coarse. But then again I could try to strain the sand at the beach to get a finer sand. I have used beach sand before with success, maybe I'll go pick up a hermit or two along the way.

Get pool filter sand from pretty much any hardware store many people on here recommend it!

Edit: whoops this is saltwater :( my bad!

Store bought. You have no idea what could be in the sand at the beach.

Most store bought sand is collected in beaches..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Store always. Beach sand has inherent risk, and here, is a decent fine for taking it

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is free to take, but there is a fine for live rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Store bought sand is cleaned and ran threw filters before you buy it. If you want to save money then yes go dig up the sand and clean it. I would just buy store sand to be safe

I would not risk beach sand. There are so many things that could be in that mix. That's just not one of the things I would risk for saving a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom