sump and refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

conejo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to find a sump or just build one myself. I found one on Craigslist for $30. I was wondering if this was a good design? My tank is going to be a 75 gallon with an overflow built in. The sump here is 20 gallons.

Attachments

• 2013-09-16_14-10-58.jpg
    2013-09-16_14-10-58.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 123
looks like mine it is simple has refuge, return and place for the skimmer. I would recommend buying a sock filter to attach to the side got mine for about $10 off eBay.
this is on my 20 long sump.

Attachments

• image-4024462970.jpg
    image-4024462970.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 152
My advice would be to go as big as your stand and or wallet allow you to. You can never have to much water to keep the quality up. Measure your space in the stand and compare it ro a standard tank dimentions list to find the best sizes then wait till one of those tanks are being sold used and buy it n build it.

If you find a good sump for a good price its not a bad idea to use it for now just make sure you can get your money back on the resale if you decide to upgrade later. Use rubber hoses instead of pvc so you wont have to re plumb the whole thing and cost you even more time and money.

I picked it up. At this point I'm confident it will work until I upgrade it at a later time. Luckily my stand is a custom built oak stand and has a lot of room.

Awesome I'll definitely pick some up. I was thinking flexible tubing was the route I wanted to take.

Any idea on what type of return pump I need to go over 5ft

I picked it up. At this point I'm confident it will work until I upgrade it at a later time. Luckily my stand is a custom built oak stand and has a lot of room.

I use to run a 20g sump/ref on my 75g the only problem I had with it was that there's not enough room in there not to many company's have skimmers with that small foot print a reef octopus sss1000 did fit in mine but it was tight but it did work did not add a lot of water volume also. You already have it so use it but if the chance comes around I would go bigger. My new sump/ref on the same 75 is now a 35g custom made one.

Well unfortunately I may have to put this build on hold for a bit longer. I will look into building my own 35 gallon sump but it won't be for a while. I appreciate these tips. Honestly I figured it would be too small but I picked it up anyways.

Watch at Petco they have dollar a gallon sales, picked up a 40 gallon for $40 and made my sump out of that

Well I meant to separate the different compartments. Did you use glass or acrylic? How much for the materials?

Going from a 55 to a 90 this weekend so I build a sump, was cheaper then buying one

I used glass baffles, had them cut at a glass store for $9 per one. I'm in Ontario so I go to Michigan to get supplies, better prices on things

I buy a lot of stuff online from Gina's Aquarium supplies good prices

I'll definitely check it out. I wanted to build my own found this one and just went with it. But I'm thinking I may just find one on Craigslist for around 20 bucks and make my own sump

Back
Top Bottom