Sump Gurgling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I will admit that this is the first tank I've not had drilled. I'm using an HOB overflow box and I've had it set up and working great for some time now. This past week I did my usual water change and then turned my equipment back on as usual. I always stick around to make sure everything is all good. About 5 minutes after start up I hear this bubbling in the sump. It then stops. Then a few minutes later it happens again and so on. It's air that is coming down the intake plumbing and into my skimmer area.

My question is: how do I make this stop? Why is it doing it now when it didnt before? Never had this issue.

Are you using a standpipe on your overflow box? I have an overflow box with a DIY Durso standpipe and I noticed that if I don't keep things running smoothly the flow will slow down and allow water level to raise in the overflow box. Once it reaches a certain point it will create a suction effect with an annoying accompanying noise.

Try a 'Hofer Gurgle Buster' in the overflow box and a 'reverse Durso' in the sump.

The sound is coming out of the overflow in the back where it drains. I ran a little bit of regular air tubing down it and it stopped! LOL!

I think the airline is allowing the water to channel down a section of the down flow pipe resulting in less interaction with the air already present in the pipe. I did something similar in the past (small bio ball dangling by fishing line).

I like the two tube gate valve approach as described in the video.

Back
Top Bottom