Tang suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJT

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a new 6ft 150g tank and wanted some tangs. I want everyones opinion on the following please:

Achillies
Purple
Yellow Mimic
Kole
Powder brown

RJT said:
I am starting a new 6ft 150g tank and wanted some tangs. I want everyones opinion on the following please:

Achillies
Purple
Yellow Mimic
Kole
Powder brown

As much as I want an Achilles tang, I wouldn't do it. They go on hunger strikes and are just hard to maintain. Most everyone I have talked to say to stay away. They have a heavy price tag for a fish that may not last long. Perhaps a fish better left in the ocean.

The purple tangs are supposed to be very aggressive and should be added last. I'm waiting on mine. Lol.

Kole tangs are one of the hardier tangs that I know of

I've never had a mimic yellow so can't say much there

Powder browns are very prone to ick. Perhaps getting a larger one with a better immune system would be best.

Just remember with tangs that you need ALOT of caves. The more tangs the more caves you will need.

Thank you. I didn't know they liked caves. Achilles are not cheap so I will definitely leave them alone.

I will probably go with a Kole and Mimic yellow. Both stay kinda small

I love my Kole Tang in my 90 gallon. Have you checked out the two-spot bristle tooth tang? They look like kole tangs, except have blue eyes and yellow tails. I would get one if it didn't totally overstock my system.

I love my Kole Tang in my 90 gallon. Have you checked out the two-spot bristle tooth tang? They look like kole tangs, except have blue eyes and yellow tails. I would get one if it didn't totally overstock my system.

I haven't heard of that tang before. The pics look great. The yellow tail adds a lot of color.

Does anyone suggest getting all three: kole, yellow mimic and two spot bristle tang?

General rule of thumb with tangs is that they can't have the same body shape or colors.

Have you looked at the lieutenant tang? It's on my stock list. I know you can get one on eBay right now for 85$ but I'm waiting a few more weeks for new additions :(.

Another favorite is the doctor surgeonfish and the orange shoulder.

Doctor surgeonfish is definitely different. I'm not even able to find one for sale.

Lieutenants are nice and the orange shoulder tang has a nice color change. How about a chevron tang?

Thank you!!! I haven't ordered from them before but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Love the chocolate tang,,had one for a couple years and watched it mature from juvi to adult a few years ago..Awesome !!I have a purple now and am looking at adding another chocolate (lost 1st one to bad brook outbreak,,before i was a staunch QTer:wink:)

Attachments

• DSCN1457000033.jpg
    DSCN1457000033.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
I like the contrasting colors and its not a common tang like yellows and regals.

I will have to see if a doctor tang and chocolate tang can coexist.

Many people have small schools of tangs with the same shape and color. If your only getting 2-3 get whatever you want and add them at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom