Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jimbo7,

Since you are at work... Here is what I hope to copy.. ambitious I know...

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm pretty sure that the weld-on that melevsreef used is sold any where that acrylic is sold. If that's the cement that you're talking about

Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW...love your retaining wall by your driveway That's a whole other project that I should be doing this year. Maybe next year, lol
Old 07-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

It's a sweet looking sump, I need to get back to melevs to check out all his new stuff. Not completely sure how it works though.. where does the tank overflow drain to? if its that overflow box there..how does water get out of the skimmer compartment?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I just don't want to spend that kind of money on lighting for a FO tank. I may decide to go reef in the future so getting some fixtures I could add to would be ideal. I like the idea of a nice clean fixture like this since it can just lay on the tank and be concealed with the hood I will build. Any recommendations on fixtures?
If you are going to build a canopy for your tank anyway i would skip the fixture and go for retrofit lights. As for your canopy and idea so it isn't a pain i drew up a picture because it will be better then trying to explain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	24586

If you up a lid on the canopy like that you should be able to do most of the work you need to in the tank with out removing the lid. Then just attach a couple of T-5s to the brackets hanging down from the lid like these...

48" 2 x 54w T5 HO Retrofit Kit - 48254

Then if you want to add later for when (yes when we all see the signs on a fellow addict. "hi my name is pat and i am a SW addict") you add coral you can just buy another 2 or 4 bulb T-5 retro kit and put them in there as well.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pat, thanks a lot for the comments and idea! I sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the weld-on that melevsreef used is sold any where that acrylic is sold. If that's the cement that you're talking about
I picked up the acrylic today.. they also gave me a few extra pieces to practice with... The salesman recommended using the #16 cement and didn't think I would need the #3 or #4 cement. I think I should have bought both however but for now I only have the #16.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
It's a sweet looking sump, I need to get back to melevs to check out all his new stuff. Not completely sure how it works though.. where does the tank overflow drain to? if its that overflow box there..how does water get out of the skimmer compartment?
Yeah, I really like the layout for this sump. It also seems like a great size for my tank. I have sent a couple questions to Marc as there are a couple things I am wondering too. From what I can see it looks like the water from the display tank goes through the overflow and dumps into a small 2.5"x2.5" chamber which I guess traps some bubbles. From there the water overflows into the first main chamber which includes the skimmer. From there the water overflows into a second chamber - an area with live rock. I believe that the water from the skimmer is dumped into the refugium chamber which will also overflow into the second chamber having the live rock. From there the water will go through the bubble trap baffles and into the 3rd chamber - the return area.

Im curious what others think of this design...
Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thoughts on this set up? It would be on the low end of 3-5 watts per gallon but then I guess the PAR whats important - more so than watts??? Any way this would be cheaper than 3 of the individual 54w HO retro kits and it includes bulbs.... so should I buy one of these guys? Thoughts?

6 Bulb 48" T5 T-5 HO Aquarium Lighting System 324 watt - eBay (item 290441207845 end time Jul-31-10 16:59:00 PDT)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

T5HO does have more intensity. You should be OK on that set up for LPS, soft corals and some moderate light SPS.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

dead link.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com