the perfect start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george9617

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for the perfect aproach to having a crystal clear, coraline covered display tank. My usual aproach has been to use ro water, an over sized skimmer, and a couple of 100 wat 6500k lights in sump over algae scrubber. Even with all this I would still get slight algae growth on glass only. For display I had zoomed HO t5s 10000k and 420 actinic......
New setup will consist of ro water 100 gallon skimmer, remote deep sand bed, bigger algae scrubber (not sure on lighting yet) along with gfo gram per gallon.display lighting two reg t5s same styles as last and old 2 old HO from last setup ...any flaws or advise in this setup I need perfection. Thanks in advance

Ty but not really loking for that info just wanna avoid nuisance algae and diatoms from apearing in the display. Am I going about this the right way srry if I confused

Maybe the lighting but I think you have the right set up! It will delelope in a month or 2!

I think your lighting is not as strong as it could be... metal halides or leds are the way to go. I think youhave the right set up and all the right pieces... just takes time

Ty but not really loking for that info just wanna avoid nuisance algae and diatoms from apearing in the display. Am I going about this the right way srry if I confused

Oh sorry. If it's a new tank, these things almost always occur. Diatoms feed off of silicates which can come from the sand (being stirred) and/or your water source. Nuisance algae feeds off of nitrates and phosphates. RO/DI water has zero TDS while RO has dissolved solids which the algae thrives on. To overcome the algae, use RO/DI if possible, cut down on light, feed less/try to strain all the water and make sure no food is going to waste, and do larger more frequent water changes. Your nitrates and phosphates will most likely read zero right now, but that is because the algae is using it up.

D: did not know ro water has tds. I need to shop for a unit and get it over with . Thanks for ur input

Back
Top Bottom