The tank is cycled and i have questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan M.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey again it's Dylan my tank has been cycled now for about 5 days with 40lbs of LS and about 20lbs of LR. Since then I've added a pink stripped dottyback and a scooter blenny also some turbos and some hermit crabs. I've been wanting to add fish I just wanna make sure I choose the right ones and I was hoping I could have some help. I know basically what I need. I just want some advice on choosing the right type/colorful fish. Also this brown algae is killing me I've been doing research on it and people say its just the start of a cycled tank and it will go away. Is this true or do I need to do something different like add a phosphate pad? Idk! any help or input would be spectacular. Here's some pics

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image-3561081801.jpg
    image-3561081801.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1222945182.jpg
    image-1222945182.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3880589087.jpg
    image-3880589087.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1567278321.jpg
    image-1567278321.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3465952673.jpg
    image-3465952673.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3753155204.jpg
    image-3753155204.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 76
You can't go wrong with a pair of clowns! How big is the tank again? I love my purple firefish, always out front and colourful. I also have a rainsfords goby who is also very active and eats algae. Keep your eye on that scooter, without huge amounts of live rock in a newly cycled tank he may starve. Hopefully you got one that eats frozen although they can stop eating for no reason. I have had one in my 55g for 2 years, but i have around 80 pounds of live rock and i have never ever seen him eat any prepared foods. They do best in mature systems. It is an awesome little fish, I have a male who loves to flash his pretty colours. Is there a fish you have your eyes on? It's a future reef right?

You can't go wrong with a pair of clowns! How big is the tank again? I love my purple firefish, always out front and colourful. I also have a rainsfords goby who is also very active and eats algae. Keep your eye on that scooter, without huge amounts of live rock in a newly cycled tank he may starve. Hopefully you got one that eats frozen although they can stop eating for no reason. I have had one in my 55g for 2 years, but i have around 80 pounds of live rock and i have never ever seen him eat any prepared foods. They do best in mature systems. It is an awesome little fish, I have a male who loves to flash his pretty colours. Is there a fish you have your eyes on? It's a future reef right?
Yeah the fire fish are cool maybe might get one of those idk yet and the clowns for sure ill get I just want a different type of clown like the maroon or cinnamon and ones who host well.
as far as my blenny goes he or she eats brine and also I've seen it eat the LR plus it gets a mouth full of sand and cleans it (I guess) idk kinda like a goby haha. Anyways would you know anything about the brown algae or if you had it and how did you get rid of it!

The scooter is a dragonet, not a blenny (confusing I know) just keep your eye on him and makes sure he is eating :) I would leave the diatoms, they will go away soon enough. All new tanks go through the uglies, I had loads of cyano at the beginning too. All just part of a new system. Watch out for Maroon or cinnamon clowns, they are much more aggressive than say percs or occ :)

Yeah keep forgetting that's the real name!
he should be okay I know for a fact he's lowered my copepods, but its okay my refuge has got a bunch thanks for the advice man how long did it it take for your diatoms to go away? Just curios.

Going through the same brown out cycle with my new tank, keep testing water parameters and do weekly water changes, it should start to clear in a couple of weeks (hopefully).

Haha yeah hopefully is right it makes my tank look ugly :( I'm sure will though. Like you said water changes are the best and I do keep testing everything is okay just have a little nitrates

looking good so far my man!!!! For sure add a pair of clowns :) Also I might add a Royal Gamma or a Fairly Basslet :) !!!! But the tank is looking great, the brown will go away soon enough!!!!!

looking good so far my man!!!! For sure add a pair of clowns :) Also I might add a Royal Gamma or a Fairly Basslet :) !!!! But the tank is looking great, the brown will go away soon enough!!!!!

Thanks tropicaldude! This Friday hopefully I'll get some clowns or that royal gamma! Both either one would be a great addition to the tank. Have you had any diatoms like that yet in your tank?!

Hey again it's Dylan my tank has been cycled now for about 5 days with 40lbs of LS and about 20lbs of LR. Since then I've added a pink stripped dottyback and a scooter blenny also some turbos and some hermit crabs. I've been wanting to add fish I just wanna make sure I choose the right ones and I was hoping I could have some help. I know basically what I need. I just want some advice on choosing the right type/colorful fish. Also this brown algae is killing me I've been doing research on it and people say its just the start of a cycled tank and it will go away. Is this true or do I need to do something different like add a phosphate pad? Idk! any help or input would be spectacular. Here's some pics

Thanks for any help!

First off. If your tank is just cycled for 5 days your pod population isnt anything and your dragonet will die. Unless you get him to eat frozen which is no easy task. 2nd off you need a lot more rock, not live rock, just rock. It will become live after its in there for a while. And the fish you want all depends on what type of tank you want. A reef? A predator tank? A community tank? It depends. And yes the brown algae is diatoms. Very very ugly, but it will pass. But as of now id get that dragonet out and get something else.

First off. If your tank is just cycled for 5 days your pod population isnt anything and your dragonet will die. Unless you get him to eat frozen which is no easy task. 2nd off you need a lot more rock, not live rock, just rock. It will become live after its in there for a while. And the fish you want all depends on what type of tank you want. A reef? A predator tank? A community tank? It depends. And yes the brown algae is diatoms. Very very ugly, but it will pass. But as of now id get that dragonet out and get something else.

Actually I'm keeping the dragonet only because he's doing really well and my pods are low yes, but he eats frozen brine and live brine no problem. I'm doing a reef tank and I guess getting more LR maybe 20lbs and 20lbs of dry rock idk any suggestions?

Actually I'm keeping the dragonet only because he's doing really well and my pods are low yes, but he eats frozen brine and live brine no problem. I'm doing a reef tank and I guess getting more LR maybe 20lbs and 20lbs of dry rock idk any suggestions?

You dont need to buy live rock. Its a rip off at $6-$13 a pound. If your tank is cycled just throw in dry rock. The bacteria will colonize in it and it will become live.

Back
Top Bottom