Tips on setting up a 29 gal FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pancho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im setting up a 29 gal tank right now, my first marine tank. I already have the salt water in, 40 lbs of dry sand, about 25 lbs of dry rock and 5 lbs of live rock. Ive read up plenty on cycling my tank, so im going to wait about a month and check on the water every week or so.

Any tips on what sort of inverts to get when im ready? or how many? ive heard about 1 per lb of live rock, is that about right? Im also waiting to get a protein skimmer until the tank is cycled, is that ok or do i need one now? Also, im using a pretty average filter right now (its a topfin that came with the aquarium...) is it worth investing in a better one?

Any suggestions would be awesome, i appreciate all the help i can get! Thanks

Filters aren't really needed when you have enough rock. You're on the light end, so I'd keep it in the system. How much water are you moving around?

I find 1 per lb is usually overkill. They may have enough food at first but will eventually starve off. Get a handful of algae grazing snails and some hermits, and maybe a fighting conch, and some (3 or 4, they're pretty active) nassarius snails to stir up the sand bed.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Theatrus made some great points. If you can eventually get about 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon, you can probably just remove the media, bio balls/wheel from the filter and use it for carbon and extra water movement. I would say go with the filter, learn how the tank works and once you are comfortable with maint. on your tank, you could go filterless or medialess.

Im also waiting to get a protein skimmer until the tank is cycled, is that ok or do i need one now?

I have a FOWLR and don't use a skimmer. It is recommended by many, I don't really have a place to put one, so I decided not to worry about it.

Inverts....depends on what critters you want to put in there. I have found 4 hermits, and about 30 snails in my 55G. That is a little low, but I am waiting on a few other critters (like a conch) to place an order for more of a clean up crew. I like urchins. If I had my choice, I would get a long spined urchin or Blue Tuxedo Pincushion.
you could even go with a sand sifting goby, like these:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=31
I think it is really a preference. It seems it is better to have fewer than more....

Back
Top Bottom