Water Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jowag1541

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that I set up using quick start. I ran it for a week without fish and then think I took some bad advice from a local pet store saying I needed to add fish to get things going. I had 6 hardy fish, I think they are some type of tetras (???), I'm down to 5 now--my nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are high. I did a partia water change, retested the water and still high. I heard some good reviews about Amquel Plus so ordered some and is due to arrive today. Is it okay to add this to a fairly new tank that has quick start added to it. I have an aqua clear 70 filter on the tank that I can add different media to, is there something I can add to the filter to get the water levels to where they should be? Thanks for any and all advice. I hate the thought of losing any more fish, two of them aren't looking very well :(

Even with an ammonia suppressor it will still stay in your system and become nitrite which is just as toxic to fish. What I would do is return the fish if possible and let the cycle complete with out fish in the tank. If this isn't an option you will have to do a fish in cycle and I would start doing large wc's (like 50% or more) daily or 2x daily for a week or 2 to get your levels down. If you do the fish in I would highly recommend picking up some live plants to help with nutrient export. Be careful with lfs advice they usually don't know what they are talking about, you have to do your own research because they are just trying to make sales. This is the salt water section to , fyi

Thanks for the info. I have well water and didn't realize the nitrates are high in it as well. I was thinking of getting bottled water from the grocery store but have read somewhere that using bottled water wasn't a very good idea either. We have a filter on for drinking water but can only get a gallon or so out at a time. I'm not sure if the Amquel Plus will take care of the nitrates. Right now all levels are high. Also as I'm doing water changes, do I add the quick start each time? Thanks again!

How high are we talking? No on bottled water but you could do distilled but that's usually $/gal at walmarts and such and that can get pricy quick. You may want to look at getting a cheap ro unit. For fresh you wouldn't need a real nice 5 or 6 stage ro/di unit just maybe a 2 or 3 stage just ro. And I don't really believe in those bottled bacterias ( if they worked you wouldn't be having the problems your having now) but that's just IMO. You do probably need a water conditioner though like prime or a similar product

I have the API test kit. I'm at work now and can't think what number it's at but I'm thinking mabye 40 or 50 ppm (???) it's about the third or fourth box down on the result kit. Thank you so much for all the information you have given me. The one type of fish I have, seems to be doing well (for now) they are swimming around chasing each other and have a good appetite but the other type I got aren't looking very well. I lost one of them and the other two seem to be losing color and not eating too well so I'm not expecting them to make it :(

Test your well water if it's less than 5ppm nitrate then you should be ok but more than that is probably going to cause algae problems

Back
Top Bottom