Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
actually what i would do if i were you. is buy this set up:
http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html
that way you have something that gives you the option to upgrade later without loosing any money. the reason i say this is because i think that floresent bulbs have the best Actinic color so when you begin to get into coral you can add like 2 Metal Halides and change the VHO's over to just Actinic blue. but until you get coral they will provide excellent coloration to your tank. just make sure when you put these in a canopy you build it to expand to halides later which need to be placed at least 8" from the water.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

now i see why i love nano's you go into debt just trying to light a 55 gallon tank. Not to mention lr, ls costs also

Old 10-21-2003, 06:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Oops, I missed it. My lights are good for a 55, but a 110, not so much. Well, good luck, I'm sure all will work out.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I really like the VHO retro fit kit and the 6x55 PC, I think I'm leaning towards the PC because I have no idea how to build the rest of what I'd need for the retro kit and I guess the PC would be a little brighter...I probably won't have money to add MH's later anyway. Does everybody think these lights would still work better than the T5 setup I listed? I thought T5 lights were pretty close to MH?
Old 10-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I too am going through the same delemma, I am getting ready to set up my 120 gallon 24" deep tank, and I have no idea what lights to go with now. I would like the performance of MH lights, but the huge energy drain (and wallet drain) and waste heat make me want to go with a Power Compact setup instead. I have a friend who used to own a LFS and he keeps telling me that PC lighting is the way to go, the bulbs last longer, the cost per hour is lower, etc, etc. But then I come on here and I hear people saying just the opposite and im torn. I trust my friend but I also trust you fine people on AA, who have shown themselves to be incredibly knowledgable. <sigh> I know that no matter what I decide to do, I will end up kicking myself in the butt.....

Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I"m just gonna go with 2 250w or 2 400w MH lights. Hellolights has them for around $350 shipped to my house.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
GOOD CHOICE!!!! you won't regret it i promise.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was told on RC that they don't keep glass tops on the aquarium because of heat build up. Do you guys think that I'll have a problem putting the lights in my canopy which will probably only be like 5 inches from the water top?

Tags
ich, light, lights, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com