Which Powerhead To Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsladybug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay here's the specs:

37 Gallon
Eclipse 3 Hood
20lbs aragonite sand
20lbs live sand
5lbs live rock (to start, I ultimately want 40lbs when I get going)
Tronic 200w Heater

I'm going to wait a while to put any fish in the tank so that I can add more rock and to make sure that I've got everything down. Here's my two questions:

1. What powerhead do you recommend? How many g/ph do I need?
2. Can I put any inverts or snails in right away?

1. What powerhead do you recommend? How many g/ph do I need?

I think you'll see a consensus for MaxiJet powerheads here, IMO they are one of (if not the) best. GPH....Really depends on what you wanna keep in your tank. I have a flow rate of over 20 X per hour in my tank and that works for me, it may not work for you. I would look at a min of 370-400gph, split between 2-3 powerheads.

2. Can I put any inverts or snails in right away?

I wouldn't recommend it, once the initial cycle is complete, then a clean up crew can be added, knowing that they may need supplamental feeding. The problem there is, once the tank is cycled and there are critters in it, you need to make certain when you add more rock, that it is cured. This can be done by purchasing cured rock from the LFS or curing the rock in a seperate container at your house. This can be accoplished with either rubbermaid tubs or garbage cans or 5 gallon buckets, or a spare tank.

what kind of time frame is a tank generally cycled? and what do you mean cured rock? i am geting the picture as to the waiting for the tank to cycle befor adding livestock, but dont you need some livestock to get it all going? you do in a freshie.

and what do you mean cured rock?

This should explain the difference between cured and uncured rock, as well as provide one method of curing.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=6

what kind of time frame is a tank generally cycled?

Depending on the method used...anywhere from 1 day to around 6-8 weeks. Each tank is different as well as the cycling methods. I would say a good average is 3-6 weeks.

but dont you need some livestock to get it all going? you do in a freshie.

Live Rock is Livestock.

i just read the article and i think that it would be in my best intrest to cure myself in the main tank as it is empty now right? will this help in getting the tank started as well? it seems to me that it would.

Yes, curing the rock in the main tank will cycle it for you. IME, curing rock in the tank takes just a few weeks and your ready to go.

When you rate the GPh in your tank are you talking about only the powerheads in the main tank or would the pump in the sump count also. I have a 75 gal with 2 295gph and 1 270 gph, but this doesnt include the filter pump. Should I get more??

Back
Top Bottom