Why is my ammonia soaring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've tried good size water changes and nothing seems to be helping. My ammonia numbers are climbing every day. Here's a synopsis of what went wrong:

Tank was cycled with 6 damsels, I brought them back to the LFS, bought a pair of false percs, waited a week and a half, bought a royal gramma, a week later overcleaned my filters (not bioballs), did a 20% water change, ammonia starts to show up. It's been over a week and I'm thinking that any mini cycle should be winding down before now.

The tank is a 29 gallon with wet/dry. I have a sand bed with about 20-30 lbs. of LR. The tank was fine and the numbers were all good for 4 weeks until this episode.

Is there anything else I might be missing here? Nothing that I'm aware of died in the tank except maybe a hermit crab or snail. Would that cause this? Also I noticed some really dark (close to black) color on a piece of LR but that rock was pretty much cured when I put it in the tank 4 weeks ago. Could some sort of latent die off be causing the numbers to rise. Oh by the way, the ammonia this morning jumped to above 2.0. I did use ammo lock if this might be messing with the readings, I don't know. I haven't been overfeeding the fish. It's getting to the point where out of fear for the fish, I'm ready to move them out of the tank. But to where, I don't know...

Also, since this is a relatively newly cycled tank (a month or so since it was fully cycled) perhaps is this thing going through something more like a full cycle instead of just a mini cycle?

This sucks. Sorry for whining...

Thanks.

Tank was cycled with 6 damsels, I brought them back to the LFS, bought a pair of false percs, waited a week and a half, bought a royal gramma, a week later overcleaned my filters (not bioballs), did a 20% water change, ammonia starts to show up
You likely destroyed the biological filtration when you "over-cleaned" the filter. Now, with livestock in the tank, it can not keep up with the bioload demand. Essentialy, you are cycling again. I would suggest taking the back and letting the tank cycle again. This could be an endless game of catch-up.
Nothing that I'm aware of died in the tank except maybe a hermit crab or snail.
This is another possibility. If you do not have enough algea for the snails to eat they will die. One dead snail can foul a tank in no time.
Once NH3 and NO2 have fallen again you can start adding your livestock back to the tank, slowy. add a fish and wait 3-4 weeks before adding another one. This will give the tank's biological filtration time to catch up with the increase in bioload. Good luck.

Do you think I should set up a QT and house the fish in some fresh SW while this thing clears itself up?

I would see if the LFS will hold them for you for acouple of weeks. IF you hae a QT tank that is fine to, just keep an eye on water parameters. This could be an "out of the pan and into the fire" situation.

Back
Top Bottom