10 gal cycle update and minor crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norcalg

Aquarium Advice Regular
The 10 gallon is, I think, cycling nicely. I did a PWC yesterday and the numbers immediately following were:
ammonia 0
nitrite 1.0
pH 8.0-8.2
nitrate 10-20

The numbers this morning were:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0.5
pH 8.0-8.2
nitrate 5-10 but closer to 10

The minor crisis is involving my son's fish bowl. He caught two baby mosquito fish in the pond and they are not happy in the unfiltered, unaerated bowl (wonder why? :roll: Poor little fish, I am so, so sorry!). We tested the water in there this morning and the ammonia is 4.0; pH 7.8/8.0; nitrites and nitrates are 0. I want to get them out of there as we are ill-equipped to modify the bowl to make it a happy place. I want to know if I can set up a little fry basket in the 10 gallon for these two tiny (.5/.75 inches) mosquito fish or if that would make everything worse. Barring that, I can start with PWC in the bowl but I don't see it as a long-term solution. They're in the bowl because they're so tiny, I figured one of the danios would eat them.

Any help much appreciated!

Are there any fish currently in the 10 gallon? I am assuming danios.

The problem with putting them in there is that you may introduce some sort of disease, especially because they haven't been quarantined.

You can do a large water change in the bowl. You really need to get that ammonia down fast! Make sure to add your dechlor.

verucaproduce said:
Are there any fish currently in the 10 gallon? I am assuming danios.
Yes, I've got three spotted danios in there. The tank has been cycling 4 weeks last Friday.

verucaproduce said:
The problem with putting them in there is that you may introduce some sort of disease, especially because they haven't been quarantined.

You can do a large water change in the bowl. You really need to get that ammonia down fast! Make sure to add your dechlor.

How long would they need to be quarantined? They've been in the bowl for a little over a week.

I'll get ready for a water change this afternoon.

Thank you,
~g

verucaproduce said:
Because they are from a pond, I would wait at least 4 weeks. Some people may have differing opinions though.

Seems reasonable - especially since my 10 gal isn't completely cycled yet. I did a large PWC today and the ammonia level dropped down to barely registering. I'll check it in the morning and do changes as necessary.

Thank you,
~g

Back
Top Bottom