10 Gallon Starter Community Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirajane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a new ten gallon tank setup I am preparing for tropical fish. I know the said rule of one inch of fish per gallon, and was wondering if the fish I chose would be good for this tank. It has lots of hiding places and foliage. I would like one Male Dwarf Gourami, 3 Guppies, and 1 or 2 Swordtails. Will the male Swordtails fight if I got males? And is this a good setup, or will any of these hurt each other or not work well together. Thank you!

So, the "one inch - one gallon" rule is a little deceptive, as the bioloads are different for fish, too.

I think the guppies would definitely be fine, I'm not sure about the gourami. Best rule of thumb is to check it with AqAdvisor and see what it has to say. It'll double check to see if anyone would be overly grumpy or not.

Now, there's always this rule: Every fish is different. Just because something works for one, doesn't mean it'll work for someone else. I've put fish together that other people would never do, purely because of the size differences. (i.e. Angelfish and Neons). Worked for me, but usually doesn't apparently. :D Now my angels and neons are separate, as my angels are getting older, but you see my point. I didn't know any better, but now I do. :D

My 10g has 5 cherry barbs and 1 male betta and 3 plants. :D I didn't want to upset any balances too much, but then again I was being a little chicken cause they're my first plants.

If you were to get guppies, I would recommend more females than males. For 3 guppies you should get 2 females and one male.

The gourami should probably be fine.

Swordtails can grow larger than most people know (Their bodies alone excluding fins can get to 4 inches) so they would outgrow a 10 gallon. Also, they follow the same rules as guppies with the male to female ratio as they are both livebearers and will fight.

Don't follow the 'inch of fish per gallon' "rule". It is not accurate at all and not all fish have the same mass or bioload as another. Also, fish do not grow to the size of their tank if you've been told so. Common things pet store employees will say.

Back
Top Bottom