10g Aquarium Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Totoro123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I think I posted my first thread in the wrong place so I'm posting it here as well!

I currently have a 10 gallon tank. My filter is a Fluval 30 and I have an air pump to produce bubbles from a bubble wand. It's been up and running for a couple of months.

My tank occupants at the moment: 6 Neon Tetras, 1 Dalmatian Molly - female, 1 Fancy Tailed Guppy - male, and a Mystery Snail. This setup isn't working. My guppy keeps chasing my molly around CONSTANTLY. Apparently guppies and mollies can breed? I also have learned that the advice I received was wrong and mollies can't be kept in a 10 gallon tank. Is this correct? The molly and guppy are still ok to be returned to the store, so getting rid of them is an option. My question is what WOULD go well with my 6 neon tetras? I have no room for babies in my tank either.

Any help would be appreciated! :thanks:

In one of my 10 gal tanks I have 6 neon tetras, 7 glowlight tetras ,3 regulars and 4 albinos, and 6 ember tetras. plus a ghost shrimp and netrite snails. The next 10 has 1 male betta and one peppered cory catfish. the third 10 gal has 2 julli cory cats and 5 harlequin rasboras, with a plan to add a honey gourami and a couple more of the julli cats. Alison :)

In one of my 10 gal tanks I have 6 neon tetras, 7 glowlight tetras ,3 regulars and 4 albinos, and 6 ember tetras. plus a ghost shrimp and netrite snails. The next 10 has 1 male betta and one peppered cory catfish. the third 10 gal has 2 julli cory cats and 5 harlequin rasboras, with a plan to add a honey gourami and a couple more of the julli cats. Alison :)

Ok, First of all the first tank you listed is utterly overstocked. You have more fish than I have in my 40 gallon in a ten. you have 22 fish in a ten gallon tank. I don't care about your filtration but thats just not enough room to swim. to the op, I would recommend maybe a dwarf gourami of some kind and then call it a day. (y)

I do realise that my tetra tank is very highly stocked. and I am not recommending that anybody else do that. However it works for me in that one tank and the water parameters are fine and yes I do the water changes and use the api master kit to stay on top of it. The point I was making was that the small tetras all do well together with out the problems of the livebearers. He mentioned taking the molly and guppy back. Thank you for your advice though. Alison

Oh also that is 19 fish :). The glowlight tetras are 7 altogether 3of one color morph and 4 of the other color morph. The ember tetras are less than an inch long at full grown . The neons a little over an inch and the glowlights about an inch and a half or a little larger. Alison:)

So, I think I posted my first thread in the wrong place so I'm posting it here as well!

I currently have a 10 gallon tank. My filter is a Fluval 30 and I have an air pump to produce bubbles from a bubble wand. It's been up and running for a couple of months.

My tank occupants at the moment: 6 Neon Tetras, 1 Dalmatian Molly - female, 1 Fancy Tailed Guppy - male, and a Mystery Snail. This setup isn't working. My guppy keeps chasing my molly around CONSTANTLY. Apparently guppies and mollies can breed? I also have learned that the advice I received was wrong and mollies can't be kept in a 10 gallon tank. Is this correct? The molly and guppy are still ok to be returned to the store, so getting rid of them is an option. My question is what WOULD go well with my 6 neon tetras? I have no room for babies in my tank either.

Any help would be appreciated! :thanks:

I would return the Molly for sure and you'll be done. Most don't recommend anything other than Nano fish or a Betta in a 10g. So Neons are pushing it. And I find most livebearers annoying as the males are constantly trying to breed. Remove the Molly and see if the Guppy calms down.

You could add some Ghost Shrimp as they have a tiny bioload.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great advice by Coursair. Another option is to upgrade to a 20g long. :)

Back
Top Bottom