20 gallon tetra mob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As a recent ick outbreak wiped out my 20 gallon, I want to restock it with different fish. I want to do schools of tetras, so I was thinking:

10 neon tetras
10 glow light tetras
10 black neon tetras
10 albino neon tetras

This is probably way too much for the bio load but I want to hear your opinions. If it's too much the schools can all be reduced to 5.

Definitely too much for the bio load. Cutting down to 5 sounds more realistic. Just don't add all of them at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or maybe I could just do like 15 neon tetras and then 2-3 scarlet badis?

I saw a video of newts recently and I found it amazing
watch

They live similarly to fish but thrive in tanks from 5-20 gallons since they are tiny but still amazing creatures.
Idk I just figured Id throw that out there since I never would of thought of it yet would have loved to try it. It's the ideal and unique low gallon pet really.

I know it's completely off topic just figure it could help.
If you set up a really good planted tank the bioload could be more generous. You have to follow the Walstad method though and just add a filter as backup. With that and a filter you could probably endure a little more fish that normally would be allowed. Although It's usually better to have slightly less than the bio load limit so Id go to
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

and punch it in and see what it says for a base idea of how much bioload you might end up producing with that size tank.

J - I reposted the video because I like newts. I wrapped the YouTube link in URL tags instead of IMG tags. And for some reason it needed a space character before the URL end tag. Not sure why. Anyhow, here it is:
Ugh. That did not work (mobile/iPhone). I will try again in a minute

Last edited:
Could I do?:

15 neon tetras
2 scarlet gem badis (I know you said they might not get enough food but I can watch closely. If they're not I can move them to my other tank)
1 golden ram
5 blue rili shrimp

I like the newt but I don't think it's something I would want to have.

I wouldn't. SBs are shy, slow hunters.
The Rams could EAT them and the Shrimp.

I've kept SBs. So this is my very strong opinion. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom