29 gal stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllAboutTheBay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a newly set up 29 gallon tank, planted tank. Fully cycled, running with a Penguin 350 and temp at 78.

I finally started stocking my tank about 3 weeks ago when it finished cycling.
I'm new to the hobby and had trouble deciding how to stock it. I had a stocking list suggested on another forum by a "stocking guru" that I really liked.

The list was:

- 8 Harlequin Rasboras
- 8 Cherry Barbs
- 2 Honey Gouramis
- 1 Bolivian Ram
- 6 Sterbai Cory Cats

Would this be overstocked? It does seem like a lot of fish, but I was hoping with good maintenance I would be able to keep this stock.

I already have the HR and CBs in my tank, water parameters are great and I do weekly water changes (15-35%).

I think if you minus the ram and one gourami it could be done but with them I think you are a bit overstocked. 30% per week is what I would do.

I concur the ram and one gourami should be left out. You may want to try a few-4-6 male Endlers to add more color and movement in the top range of the tank. These guys have a small bioload. If you drop the ram and both gouramis you could go with some Cherry Shrimp or dwarf cry fish. Both are plant friendly and make the bottom a bit more lively.

I agree I've always had huge problems with Rams diying.

"Been a fish owner since I was born."

Yup, would be concerned about the ram too. Especially if the bioload of the tank is high. I feel their water quality demand is quite high and would err on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom