29 Gallon Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, need some help with my new tank. Below is the story line and I'm looking for some advice on cycling.

-Tank set up and started on Dec. 24th (Christmas Gift for the Kids)
-Tank up to temp and fish were added on Dec. 26th (2 Silver Molly, 2 Sunburst Platy)
-Tank has been tested daily, below are the typical results
-pH=8
-Ammonia=0.25
-NO2=0
-NO3=0 to <5
-Temp=78F
-I have performed several water changes, almost daily because I do not want the Ammonia to spike, but still continue to see 0 NO2 and keeping the Ammonia at 0.25 and no higher. These are PWC and a few 50%
-I am using the API Master Test Kit.
-Filter is a Top Fin 30 HOB
- We are down to 1 Molly and 2 Platy. The Molly's fin became torn up and its one side was very bad and red. Also lost a lot of color and looked bad before passing.
-Other 3 fish seem very happy and active. Eating and swimming around, very social and not hiding out.

My questions is the slow cycle. It has been around 11 days since the fish were added. I have read up on cycling and just wondering why will not seem to kick off. Am I changing the water too much? This board has been great and I continue to read. Just want to know if I am doing anything wrong that would hinder the cycle. Or, am I just jumping the gun and looking for this too early?

Thanks for the help.

Everything sounds good so far. :) It can take 2-4 weeks in average to see any nitrite. Keep up the water changes when ammonia or nitrite are over .25ppm.

Oh and welcome!

Thanks Mumma, I am watching closely so the fish don't get stressed. They seem very happy so far. I will keep after the water changes.

:dance:

Welcome! As Mumma said the ammonia phase can take 2-3 weeks and then the nitrite phase usually follows so you have some time ahead of you. Just keep the levels as low as possible with water changes and you should be fine. :)

Update

Well, it has been 5 weeks and still no cycle. Still have 3 fish (1 Silver Mollly and 2 Sun Burst Platty's). Water is tested every day and I am doing PWC about every other day. Ammonia has never gotten <.5ppm. NO2=0 and NO3=<5ppm.

Any suggestions to jump start the Fish In cycle. I know I don't want the tank to come crashing down, but I really would like to see something happening soon that would lead me to believe the tank is going to start cycling.

Any Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom