55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a free 55 gallon tank from a friend and will be looking to set it up whenever I find room for it. I plan on doing a fishless cycle and probably fake plants o start but will eventually add some live plants. I'm mainly just trying to figure out what I can stock it with.

As a little kid my dad owned 2 55 gallons so I kinda wanna stock them like he had them stocked but I think he may have had them over stocked.

He had 2 tiger oscars and 2 plecos in one tank

He had 3 angels, 3 sharks, a black shadow knife, a pleco, and a few small colorful fish.

In both tanks he also had feeders swimming around.

I really like the tiger oscars I would love to be able to have one. And a couple plecos would be nice. And maybe some other fish?

I also forgot to say I would love to have some sort of cool fish that I could breed. :) any options/ opinions are great!

Don't go with common plecos, they get way to big for a 55g. However you can look into bristlenose pleco's, they are a good size for a 55. You could easily do angels, just be sure that you have a back up tank incase two decide to pair up and spawn... I haven't witnessed this but I've heard it gets nasty and things get destroyed. If you don't have another tank try and do a designated spawning area for them, and be prepared that other fish may be attacked, possibly even killed.

Okay. What's a bristle nose pleco look like? And anything else I could add with some angels? How many Angels could I get?

And I'm pretty sure I'd have to chose between tiger oscars and angels right? I can't have both? :/

If your going with oscars. Only 1 Oscar and 1 bushy pleco will do (although some disagree)

Okay. So I can either have one Oscar and 1 pleco or some angels and a couple bristle nose plecos and maybe a couple other fish?

Ya I'd do this for angels: 2-4 angels a school of bigger tetras/peaceful schooling fish. 1 BN pleco and maybe cories or loaches

Brox said:
Ya I'd do this for angels: 2-4 angels a school of bigger tetras/peaceful schooling fish. 1 BN pleco and maybe cories or loaches

The Angels could I get 2 pairs? Or should i get 2-4 of the same kind? And could I get 2 BN plecos? And thanks :) any other fish I could get instead if tetras for schooling fish?

Khij159753 said:
So I just got a free 55 gallon tank from a friend and will be looking to set it up whenever I find room for it. I plan on doing a fishless cycle and probably fake plants o start but will eventually add some live plants. I'm mainly just trying to figure out what I can stock it with.

As a little kid my dad owned 2 55 gallons so I kinda wanna stock them like he had them stocked but I think he may have had them over stocked.

He had 2 tiger oscars and 2 plecos in one tank

He had 3 angels, 3 sharks, a black shadow knife, a pleco, and a few small colorful fish.

In both tanks he also had feeders swimming around.

I really like the tiger oscars I would love to be able to have one. And a couple plecos would be nice. And maybe some other fish?

Yeah I wouldn't do the sharks, oscars and pleco. The other posts have given really good suggestions as a alternative.

Yeah. Is there any colorful Angels you'd recommend? Or maybe an alternative to angels that's a colorful fish? Chichlids or However you spell them. Could i do them? I looked at them briefly and found some cool looking ones. I'm just tryin to get all my options

Khij159753 said:
Yeah. Is there any colorful Angels you'd recommend? Or maybe an alternative to angels that's a colorful fish? Chichlids or However you spell them. Could i do them? I looked at them briefly and found some cool looking ones. I'm just tryin to get all my options

Just find angels you like. 2 BN pleco would be ok with just angels but they poop a lot and eat algae so they would need wafers or another food option. Other "bigger fish" ideas: gourami,rams,convicts,chubs. Schooling fish ideas: flathead minnows,danios,rasboras,barbs,white cloud mountain Minnows

I found Alot of chichlids I like. And a couple discuss. Either of those possible? Or would I be much better off going for smaller fish? No matter what I get I want to be able to breed them. I rose a baby guppy from birth and it gave me a very rewarding feeling and he is definitely my favorite :)

If you plan on breeding I would do a species only tank.

Would a couple species work? Like one species and then a couple bristlenosed plecos?

If your breeding only 1 species will do with the expecting of plecos and other type fish

So are there any fish that will breed in a tank with more than just that species in it? I was hoping to keep a couple bristle nosed plecos (hoping they'll breed), then 1 or 2 other species that I was hoping would breed also. Is that just not gonna happen?

Back
Top Bottom