90 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be getting my 90 gallon in a few days so I wanted to start this thread up now
I'll be gradually getting all my supplies and have a few questions
1.If I add some filter media from my ten gallon add an ammonia source and wait a few days, can I add my full stock from my 10 over the course of three days?
Day one I would add-
5- guppy
Day two I would add-
4- guppy
Day three I would add-
3- peppered Cory
And some more filter media also my plants, driftwood, and some gravel
I'd leave my fry in the ten
Also could I get by with only one of my filters and my heater until I start adding more fish?

Also wondering if I should let the tank cycle with media for 5 or 7 days before gradually adding fish?

Can anyone answer my questions? I need answers so I know what to buy now and what to buy later and also how my cycle plan will work so I know if I need certain things
Finally would I have a mini cycle if I added he second filter once I added all the fish from my ten?

All I can say is try what your planning as far as setting it up an wait the couple days and test your parameters and see if the cycle is complete. Then add your fish

Stephen Rollins said:
All I can say is try what your planning as far as setting it up an wait the couple days and test your parameters and see if the cycle is complete. Then add your fish

Thanks!

Ok, so first off what you can do is go to your LPS and get this product called complete cycle. That will cycle your tank in 1 day... Works good. Also taking some of your media from a 10 gal wouldn't help a great deal for a 90 gal but go head its always better then starting from scratch
When I moved from a 55gal a125gal all in 1 day and didn't lose a fish.

Just do fishless cycle until the ammonia and nitrIte is 0. Its the safest and easiest thing to do before the transfer.

This comment is a little old now that it is June 6th, but adding "seeding" material like gravel or (even better) filter sponges or biomedia can REALLY expedite your cycle. If you have a test kit check the ammonia and nitrates. If not, I'd wait 8-10 days then stock slowly. Good luck! Lets see some pics!!

pitt420dude said:
This comment is a little old now that it is June 6th, but adding "seeding" material like gravel or (even better) filter sponges or biomedia can REALLY expedite your cycle. If you have a test kit check the ammonia and nitrates. If not, I'd wait 8-10 days then stock slowly. Good luck! Lets see some pics!!

Whoa no tank yet delivery was delayed ;(

So I don't want to argue with Jeremy because LOTS of people have used products like that with great success. However I have heard of a few stories about ammonia or Nitrite spikes days after you thought your tank was cycled. I think they can work, but I also think they can not work.

Like all things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. There is no quick/easy way to cycle a tank IMO.

I can say thought that seeding your tank with filter material is the best way to go. It can really jump start your cycle. Even some handfuls of gravel (like what I mention in my post "A different kind of cycle...") can really help.

Filter media (bio rings, filter floss, sponges, etc....) works better than gravel because of the increased surface area for beneficial bacteria (BB) to grow on. Plants, gravel, the glass itself all contain the BB.

I would put as much material from your 10 gal in your new 90 gal as you can. The problem you may run into is that your 90 gal is VERY large compared to the 10, so you should probably wait longer.

I would decholorinate and fill your tank, transfer your material, put a little fishfood or a shrimp in for 7-10 days then proceed to your stocking plan.

Do you have a decent test kit (not strips). I did use API but I have to admit that at the moment I actually do not even own a test kit (oops), lol.

The problem is I have fish in the ten so I would have to move them over when I move over the gravel and some media

no, you don't have to move all the media or gravel over just enough to let the 90gal gain the bacteria it needs.

examples of things you could add to the 90gal to help it cycle: filter media, plants, gravel, decorations, etc.

News! I have an offer in for a 150 gal on craigslist
I should hear back soon

Back
Top Bottom