A Friendly Hello :) - new tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's still horrific stocking I'm sorry to say. The frontosa and the yellow lab will destroy the grouramis if given the chance. 2 inch oscars can reach 12 inches each within a year. They are messy, fast growing, aggressive fish that need a minimum 500L tank for the pair of them with massive amounts of filtration. The 35L tank with two 2 inch long oscars is already overstocked.

understood with the oscars, I don't know if it was thought through, and seems to be more for the appeal for the younger kids. also I wasn't aware that they grew quite so fast, so doubt my parents are either.

Thank you, obviously was not aware of the incompatibility , also it is NOT a frontosa, I was guessing, its a blue dolphin/hump-head... however short of putting them in with oscars, or two large discus, there isn't much else I can do now, because my parents couldn't wait two more days.

I'm posting up all the info because I do appreciate the advice, and am not happy with our current setups, and believe some are overstocked and want to try and change it, so thanks for all the comments...

probably a common problem on here, buuuuut, need more space, need more tanks, need more money ;)

also, oscars aren't looking real good, both are sitting on the bottom, not moving much? they have eaten frozen brine shrimp...

understood with the oscars, I don't know if it was thought through, and seems to be more for the appeal for the younger kids. also I wasn't aware that they grew quite so fast, so doubt my parents are either.

Thank you, obviously was not aware of the incompatibility , also it is NOT a frontosa, I was guessing, its a blue dolphin/hump-head... however short of putting them in with oscars, or two large discus, there isn't much else I can do now, because my parents couldn't wait two more days.

I'm posting up all the info because I do appreciate the advice, and am not happy with our current setups, and believe some are overstocked and want to try and change it, so thanks for all the comments...

probably a common problem on here, buuuuut, need more space, need more tanks, need more money ;)

I think the best thing to do is to contact your local fish store and arrange to return the oscars and ask them to take the gouramis in. The oscars could be just sulking. They tend to do that when moved to a new tank or their existing tank is changed some how. But there could be an issue with the tanks water conditions. Best to do a water change and get the water tested.

How big is the discus tank? Honestly the gouramis are probably better off in there than with the Africans.

I'm sorry if I've been a bit blunt. I understand these aren't your tanks and the stock choices aren't up to you. Good on you for seeking help to try and help the situation!

I think the best thing to do is to contact your local fish store and arrange to return the oscars and ask them to take the gouramis in. The oscars could be just sulking. They tend to do that when moved to a new tank or their existing tank is changed some how. But there could be an issue with the tanks water conditions. Best to do a water change and get the water tested.

How big is the discus tank? Honestly the gouramis are probably better off in there than with the Africans.

I'm sorry if I've been a bit blunt. I understand these aren't your tanks and the stock choices aren't up to you. Good on you for seeking help to try and help the situation!

discus tank is 100L, undersized aswell i believe?

I'm going to try and talk them into either buying a much larger tank for them, or as you said, returning them.

hit the nail on the head, thankyou for understanding :)

also, if it makes any difference, 50% water changes twice a week in all tanks

discus tank is 100L, undersized aswell i believe?

I'm going to try and talk them into either buying a much larger tank for them, or as you said, returning them.

hit the nail on the head, thankyou for understanding :)

100L is alright for just to two but bigger would be better for them.

Sounds like a pretty good water change schedule except for the Oscar tank. They will need a water change daily until they get returned or a new tank.

So so excited tank is coming tomorrow, can not wait! Im thinking of getting 5 rummy nose tetras and 5 or 10 neon tetras soon too :) not in too much of a hurry though, be nice to have the tank condtions right first :)

When I get the tank setup I'll help dad do water changes and cleans on the other tanks and get pics of everyone :D

Had a brilliant idea, to educate my parents a bit easier, get Dad on the forum!

think I very well may have failed epically already, I dropped a cycled filter into a full tank of untreated tapwater, and then dechlorinated it... Ive killed all the Beneficial Bacteria in my filter haven't I?

Probably the majority. I wouldn't give up hope yet. Some of them may have made it.

But would chlorine kills bacteria? Not sure... does anyone know? So long as the filter is kept warm and doesn't dry out. I would have thought it would be okay. So long as you keep feeding it some sort of ammonia, such as fish flakes etc. Then test the water in 24 hours and see how the ammonia / nitrite / nitrate / ph is reading.

the filter went straight out the cycled tank into the heated water, so it stayed plenty wet and warm, sat for maybe 5 minutes before adding the dechlorinator.

haha either way looks like Im gonna spend a little longer cycling my tank than expected, but with no substrate at the moment, i think it might have a hard time, will pick up gravel tomorrow...

so prehaps drop a small flake or two in the water?

will test the water tomorrow, leaving the tank unstocked for now :)

EDIT: went ahead with a small amount of fish flake, its just like pretending to have real fish! :p

the filter went straight out the cycled tank into the heated water, so it stayed plenty wet and warm, sat for maybe 5 minutes before adding the dechlorinator.

haha either way looks like Im gonna spend a little longer cycling my tank than expected, but with no substrate at the moment, i think it might have a hard time, will pick up gravel tomorrow...

so prehaps drop a small flake or two in the water?

will test the water tomorrow, leaving the tank unstocked for now :)

Definitely drop in some fish flakes - you need the bacteria to feed on something, in my opinion. Don't lose heart! And keep the fish out for now until you know what the readings are tomorrow.

thanks guys, dropped in some flake, nd hoping for the best, I didnt think about it before hand but we have a really nice big piece of DW that needs to be cut up, and soaked, its pretty old though should I treat it with anything? should have started doing it a week ago :( haha

Also thankfully for those worried about the gouramis, they havent moved tank, but are getting on well with the elec yellow and blue dolphin for now

Also with tomorrow comes time for a new thread, and stop spamming the members introductions I think :p

Chlorine kills bacteria. That's why it's added to the water supply.
By adding fish flakes you are adding a very small amount of ammonia. If it where me (I know some will disagree) I would add a couple of small fish as the ammonia source. You are testing levels anyway so you will know if anything gets out of hand. If you don't feel comfortable with adding fish add a raw prawn (like from the supermarket). It will produce more ammonia than the fish food and won't make as much mess. Tie it in a nylon stocking then hang in the tank.

Chlorine kills bacteria. That's why it's added to the water supply.
By adding fish flakes you are adding a very small amount of ammonia. If it where me (I know some will disagree) I would add a couple of small fish as the ammonia source. You are testing levels anyway so you will know if anything gets out of hand. If you don't feel comfortable with adding fish add a raw prawn (like from the supermarket). It will produce more ammonia than the fish food and won't make as much mess. Tie it in a nylon stocking then hang in the tank.

Thanks, considering 10 neon tetras, too much? I want them when it is stocked, but I wont be all cut up if I loose as much as half of them, they are just cheaper than the rummy nose that i also want, and i Don't see the point in danios or some other "Hardy" fish that I don't want in my finished aquarium.

starting to understand the nitrate cycle alot better now thanks to all the advice from yourself and fishless cycle, still a ways behind, but its been a great learning curve already and I've only had the tank one day!

going shopping tomorrow, will see what happens :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom