? about temp. housing for my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if I could put him (Black Ghost Knife) in my aunt and uncles established tank until I get this 70G one done? They have a 20G with 1 medium size goldfish and 2 smaller ones. My BGK is only about 4-5 inches long and would not be able to eat their fish. Would theirs harm mine? Thanks!

not sure if your's would need heat and if your aunt and uncle's tank has a heater.

I don't think the goldfish will mess with your BGK. The only other things that would concern me is that they are sensitive to water pollutants. I would make sure your aunt and uncle have an established tank with no ammonia or nitrite readings (may have ammonia readings since goldfish are messy eaters). I researched BGK's a while back and they said they do not do too good with bright lights. If your aunt & uncle have a bright tank you might need to take a bulb out or give some hiding places. I read some PVC pipes make a great spot for them to hide. HTH! :)

Edit: Oh, and don't forget to acclimate him properly. I'd recommend the drip method.

Their tank has a heater. And when I went over there last night, there was no light on in the tank so I think they leave it off all night. I could bring one of his houses over for him to hide in. I will take my test over there to check the water in their tank. When I got the gravel out of there, there was A LOT of junk crumbs floating around, so maybe it's too dirty for him....

BGK's are nocturnal. He'll probably hide during the day. If you do decide to house him at your aunt's I would do a pwc to get most of the junk floating around out. How is your cycle coming along on your 70G?

The cycle was started last night, so I haven't seen any ammonia yet. (Maybe I should go down a get some shrimp? Although I think the only thing they will have down there is frozen shrimp) I should probably vacuum her tank for the PWC? And add some dechlor even though she NEVER does and said she only changes the water once a year. That being the case, it is actually really clean except for the crumbs floating off the bottom!

Only once a year? I would do a big pwc. 50% or more. But let someone else confirm that first. I don't know if you should add any dechlor, but I bet someone else can tell you if you should or not. But definitely try to vacuum up those crumbs. I would even take some filter media or some of the substrate from her tank and put it in both of your tanks to help speed the cycling process along.

I took her filter and put it in the 20G tonight. I did an ammonia test earlier today after a pwc and it went down to .50. I have one of her plants and some gravel in a pantyhose in the 70G. I also put a few bloodworms in there to make me some ammonia!!! Do you think I should still try to put some shrimp in there? I think the only thing they have down here is the frozen ones in a circle that you have as an appetizer lol. I took the filter out of the 20G (when I put her establised one in) and put it in the 70G because it was already growning some brown junk in the corner! WHOO HOO! Things are looking MUCH better than they were a day ago, and I can actually get some sleep! I just hope I didn't do any permanent damamge to Elvis in this process and he can go on to live a long happy life! Thanks for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom