Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Bubble00

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have 1 Comet and 4 Rosy Barbs in my tank, with some live plants. I'm having trouble with algaes on the plants and the glass, I'm tired of cleaning them every single time. Any algae eaters that my fish won't attack? I don't want shrimps since they don't have much place to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siamese algae eater.
Oto catfish

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 37 gallon tank with 1 tiger nerite snail and 2 olive nerite snails. They do a really good job of cleaning up most of the algae. They do lay some eggs around the tank but they do not hatch because they need brackish water.

The main issues of algae would be

phosphates, usually from commonly available flake fish food, can try a pouch of Phosguard. Upgrade foods.

high organics, left over food and ammonia for examples in the water, more water changes more often or more quantity pwc or both,

lighting being on too long or color spectrum not the best for a planted tank normally would be low K rating below 5000K with more green and yellow light good for algae and our eyes to see the fish, not as good for growing plants.

Any or all of the above.

What are the test kit numbers before doing a regular scheduled pwc?

The main issues of algae would be

phosphates, usually from commonly available flake fish food, can try a pouch of Phosguard. Upgrade foods.

high organics, left over food and ammonia for examples in the water, more water changes more often or more quantity pwc or both,

lighting being on too long or color spectrum not the best for a planted tank normally would be low K rating below 5000K with more green and yellow light good for algae and our eyes to see the fish, not as good for growing plants.

Any or all of the above.

What are the test kit numbers before doing a regular scheduled pwc?
It's a 60×30×35 tank, the lights. I might've rushed when I bought it, its a 10,000k fluorescent lamp. For the water I just changed it and what causing it to grow like crazy might be the p.h level (I don't have a p.h testing kit but I haven't changed the water for 4 weeks).

Anyways, is there any chance that a siamese algae eater might fight with one of my fish?

Are those inches or centimeters? In centimeters that's 16.6g and in inches it's 272.4g. That makes a lot of difference. If it is in centimeters you don't have a lot of options as you already need a bigger tank. That comet will get 10 inches long and can live a long long time! like up to 25 years long! I believe your light is your issue with algae. I would cut down your photo period.

View attachment 306119 From what did you do with you tank today thread. looks like the smaller of the two options....

So to answer the question..... your tank is far too small for the current inhabitants. Adding more isn't really an option imo.

We bought a leopard pleco and the fish leave him alone. He doesn’t seem to get around much though just seems to hide next to the heater. When we upgraded our tank from 80litre to 292litre and got some bigger fish, the fish shop recommended turning the temp up to 30C, we had endless algae issues in water and on glass. Have turned the temp back down to 27C (80F) and the water is already 3/4 clearer after just 1 day!

After seeing that picture I am in agreement no more fish you are already over stocked. Also not a fan of keeping cold water goldfish with topicals.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
I know, it was an accident. I got an interest into making an aquascape and I was like "Hey, maybe goldfish can live with any kind of freshwater fishes because that's what the seller says". Anyways, if I remove the goldfish, is will there be any problem if I put 3 red ramshorns in there? I'm now interested in snails [emoji16]

Are those inches or centimeters? In centimeters that's 16.6g and in inches it's 272.4g. That makes a lot of difference. If it is in centimeters you don't have a lot of options as you already need a bigger tank. That comet will get 10 inches long and can live a long long time! like up to 25 years long! I believe your light is your issue with algae. I would cut down your photo period.
If I remove the goldfish, will it give much more space if I buy 3 ramshorn snails?

Last edited:
Yes, but don't over clean the glass and rocks and plants. It seems like their might not be enough food source - maybe if there are a bunch. Whenever I have had a bunch of them it seemed most would die off and I would only have a couple.

Usually overfeeding would be a problem in my tanks rather than starvation, I don't have this as evidence other than my thoughts of my experience. I have a small bumble bee one and have had him a couple years in a number of my different nano tanks. I don't clean the glass inside unless if to scrape a few dots of algae.

Any FW Nerite would be fine. You could try 2 and see how it goes. They could be different patterns.

Back
Top Bottom