Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ann7667

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you avoid getting algae in your aquarium? I currently have a 75 gallon and will be moving my fish to a 120 gallon as soon as it finishes cycling.
I have that black hair algae or BBA in my 75 gallon. I had bought a plant at my lfs that had a little bit of black stuff on the end of the leaf - that's how it got into my tank. It's all over everything right now. I periodically take everything out, my husband pressure washes the furniture and I scrub the walls, tubing, cut back the plants where it is growing. It's just awful stuff.
So when I move my fish into the new tank, I do not want to bring any of the algae with them. So I am only moving the fish and nothing else from that tank.
Anyway, once I have my babies moved into the new tank, how do I keep algae out.
I know that these things will encourage algae:
1. Overfeeding the fish.
2. More than 6 hours of light in the tank.
3. So having the tank right at a window is not a good idea.
4. Poor water quality will contribute to algae.

What else?
I've heard that running co2 into the tank will discourage algae, but this is a tricky thing and I really don't want to do it. If you have too much co2, I've read that it can encourage algae. And I just don't want a pressurized co2 tank under my aquarium. Boom :blink:
Is there anything else I can do to prevent algae in my aquarium? I'd really appreciate hearing from you all what works for you.
:thanks:

You don't really need a pressurized tank for co2. Just get an old plastic jug - gallon size - from the grocery, drill a small hole in the cap, stuff the airline cable in about an inch. Use some aquarium sealer around airline to seal. Then put the other end in your tank. As far as the mixture, mix in about 2-4 cups of sugar and 1/2 packet of yeast, shake and put cap on. In about 15 minutes instant co2. Should last about 3 weeks! Oh, forgot to say add warm water to about 3" from top. Leave air space at top of jug for co2 to escape into airtube.

really there is no way of getting rid of algae. It is always going to be there. tanks get different amounts of light and different amounts of nutrients in the water so there will always be algae. you can try to limit the amount of algae in thetank.

You can try adding in a few SAEs. I've heard they do a great job of removing algae and don't damage plants while doing it.

I agree that you could add an algae eater to reduce the algae, but you need to figure out what is causing it in the first place. If you don't fix the initial problem, all an algae eater is going to do is mask the problem. I would say nutrient imbalance and long photo-period are the most common causes for algae.

Roy, thank you so much for that article. That was very helpful. I have looked at the food I'm feeding my fish and there ARE phosphates in them. I'm going to change out their food so that at least the food will not be contributing to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom