All you algae-eater experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need your advice. I am looking for an algae-eater that stays relatively small for my 29 gallon with a pH of 8.0. I am looking for something 'fancy schmanzy'...not your ordinary bristlenose. So far I have been told that a CAE might fit the bill. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but if you are trying to keep a peaceful community tank I wouldn't choose the CAE. I hear they can become aggressive as they grow bigger. How about a rubberlip, or clown pleco? A lot of people here say that clowns don't eat much algae, but mine does an ok job for my 29 gallon. My LFS had a tiger pleco a few weeks ago, don't know much about them but they look really cool and I think they stay small enough. :D

I wouldn't choose the CAE. I hear they can become aggressive as they grow bigger.
That is my main concern about the CAE. My stocking list is going to be something like cherry barbs, endlers, and maybe a pearl gourami. I do want to keep it peaceful.

Do you find that your clown produces LOTS of waste? I have read that they need driftwood too. Is that correct?

Also, with the otos I have been advised that my pH is too high for them. I had three for quite a few months and all was well until a platy went renegade and started picking at them. I think their wounds got infected and they didn't make it.

Perhaps shrimp would work for you, such as the amano shrimp. Althouhg I am not sure if they'd be compatible with barbs.

shrimps eat algae??? :roll: Im trying to solve the same problem in my 29 gal ...too much brown algae :(

I would pick the otos. I've only had 1 CAE and it was the meanest fish I've ever had in my aquariums. You might read up in the SAE. I've owned them. Put in 1 per tank as they tend to fight each other but they leave other fish alone. They get about 6" long and they are very hard to distinguish between the flying fox. Check out the profiles by Bearfan on the freshwater profiles page.

Yes shrimp eat algae, although many only sparingly. The amano shrimp are the best known freshwater algae-eating shrimp out there, and I have heard that they do a great job.

Which algae eater depends on your algae. Brown algae/diatoms- otos. Green algae- plecos, cae, sae. Hair/beard/thread algae- sae, florida flag fish, butterfly gooedid. Green spot algae- credit card or razor blade. Bluegreen algae/ cyano- threeday blackout or maracyn. This is only a partial list and by no means complete or comprehensive.

Clown plecos should be given driftwood I think for nutrient reasons and mine does not produce a lot of waste. They are more nocturnal, while otos will come out in the daylight, so for viewing purposes, I would put in 3 otos.

A pH of 8.0 is right at the upper range of comfort for both Otocinclus and SAE. It is too high for most Ancistrus species. I would recommend avoiding CAEs as they do get aggressive as they get older.

Yeah, your pH is awfully high... could you try lowering it with peat (not the chemical additives)? Clown plecos do need driftwood, and mine seems to produce a lot of waste. Plecos are poop factories. :lol:

I have tried to lower my pH in the past and it just spikes right back up to 8. I guess I will have to keep looking for options. :lol:

If your LFS' are keeping the fish healthy, then they probably adapted to the water and will be fine with your water.

Back
Top Bottom