Another newbie that didn't do his research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: Goodbye to "Ander".

I took the pleco to my local mom and pop pet store and they took him and gave me credit towards a potted anubias plant. They couldn't believe that Petco sold me a sailfin pleco for a 10 gallon tank. Did a water change and rearranged the decor and put the plant in. Looks nice. Looking forward to getting a rock and eventually mounting the anubias on top of it. The water smells like urine even stronger after a water change. I'm thinking this must be because my tap water chloramines are so high to start off with. The Prime breaks the chloramine bond and releases the ammonia and then binds it.

Hopefully with only one fish left, the ammonia will be more manageable and I can get on with this dang cycle! :banghead:

Another question. Is it normal to smell the ammonia in the water when it gets around .5 ppm? Just hoping I don't have some other issue. I would think that ammonia would be the only thing that gives off a urine smell.

I'm not sure about the ammonia smell. I know prime smells strongly of sulfur, but I'm not sure if that's related. Maybe someone more experienced with fish in cycling could chime in? I did fishless for my original tank and I honestly can't remember what I smelled when I was dosing the ammonia.

Well a urine smell doesn't sound right. I don't think it would be ammonia. If anyone asks, just say that it was a heck of a party. :cool:

Well a urine smell doesn't sound right. I don't think it would be ammonia. If anyone asks, just say that it was a heck of a party. :cool:

Haha... Gee thanks. It's not exactly urine, but it's a sharp acrid smell that is vaguely reminiscent of Eau du wee wee. :blink: 99% sure it's an ammonia smell. I wonder if it does have something to do with the Prime breaking down the chloramines, because now that I think about it, it may tend to be worse after a dose of Prime. There's no bigger dose than with a water change.

No, the timing hasn't worked out. Two little kids and a job make it difficult to find time to tinker with the tank. :). But I'll try to do a test tonight if it is still smelling strong.

Back
Top Bottom