Are fishless cycles supposed to take this long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's been like 2+ months and it's gone down to 1ppm once. It's only a 2.5 gal, and I seeded my filter and everything. Am I doing something wrong?

If you seeded your filter AND used old tank water, then it's already cycled.

If you seeded your filter and used tap water, you just killed much if not all the BB.

If you seeded your filter AND used old tank water, then it's already cycled.

If you seeded your filter and used tap water, you just killed much if not all the BB.

Seeding does not always mean that the tank will instantly cycle. I seeded my 75g in a Fishless cycle and it took it 3 more weeks to finish the cycle. A tank as small as 2.5g is tricky. Best thing you can do is keep watching the levels.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hi. A small tank usually comes with a small filter with a very small sponge. This can be hard to cycle and to keep the cycle going. If this is the case then you can increase your media surface area by inserting the filter into another larger sponge so that the tank water is drawn through both sponges. I do this for my small QT and it works a treat. Not very attractive unless you can hide it with plants, wood etc..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's what I thought ImACoolGuy. I seeded my filter (carbon) by shoving it in with my 10gal filter for a few days to a week.

That's what I thought ImACoolGuy. I seeded my filter (carbon) by shoving it in with my 10gal filter for a few days to a week.

I can't verify smaller filters but larger filters like I keep take around 3 weeks to be complete established.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Do you have a testing kit, and can you test the pH and report results?
Have you done any water changes on the tank during cycling?

Thank you. Any ideas on how I could speed mine up? I'm gonna keep testing the water of course...

threnjen, I do have a kit and i'll test and report as soon as I have time. I have only topped off the water when it gets low (conditioned, of course).

I don't think you can seed with carbon. You are better off with the sponge and/or the ceramic/bio-max media.

Our 10g took 3 weeks, luckily. It can take a while sometimes though.

We tried to cycle a 5g, and it didn't go so well. It is partially cycled. We thought we were so close so many times, but, when we dosed with ammonia again, it didnt test out in 24 hrs. We just gave up.

We have 2 5g tanks and they house a betta each. We change the water 90% once a week (leaving just enough water in for the betta to stay in while we add the fresh water). When we check the ammonia at the end of the week, it's perfect, or once in a while, a tinge of green, but not enough to be .25 ppm. :) Plus we make sure not to overfeed. They are fed daily, usually one break day a week.

My personal opinion is that tanks smaller than 10 may be quite difficult to cycle, esp 5g and below. We just keep tabs on the water quality and change water as necessary.

Just to keep this myth from perpetuating, I'd like to point out that by seeding you need to use actual media and not tank water. The BB live on surfaces. Rock work and gravel also help.

Just to keep this myth from perpetuating, I'd like to point out that by seeding you need to use actual media and not tank water. The BB live on surfaces. Rock work and gravel also help.

YES!! Water has very little bb in it, if any at all.

:) For our 20g tank, we just put the filters from our 10g when we upgraded into it, moved all our sand, decorations, 25% of the old water, and fish obviously, and bam, instant cycle! We tested it of course after about week or so, all perfect :D

We got a new filter for our 20g tank a couple weeks ago, so we took the cartridges from the older filters and put them behind the new cartridges, and hopefully that will keep everything fine. I haven't tested the tank yet, going to soon. Hopefully the new cartridges are plenty seeded by the old ones by now. It's been a week and a half or two ish weeks now.

Finally found time to test. Here goes-
pH- 8.2 (My area has naturally high pH. The lady at the LPS said that it's best not to mess with it as the fish are already used to it in my 10gal, and I'm guessing they keep their fish in the same water as well.)
Ammonia- somewhere between 2-4 ppm, probably 3.
Nitrites- 0

It's been like 1 1/2 or 2 weeks since i've last tested and the results are exactly the same. I'm thinking I'm going to wait a couple weeks, and if nothing changes I'll do enough water changes to get the ammonia down, get my betta, and wing it with fish-in cycling.

I don't think you can seed with carbon. You are better off with the sponge and/or the ceramic/bio-max media.

Actually, there's some research out there that suggests that activated carbon stops removing things within a few days of putting it in the filter, at which point it just becomes yet another surface for beneficial bacteria. That's why I don't think twice about using undergravel or sponge filters- chemical filtration is a farce anyway.

So yeah, carbon is a fine way to seed a tank :)

Back
Top Bottom