Best filtration system for 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of setting up my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I have a HOB power filter but I'm wondering if that's enough. I'm interested in what others think the best filtration systems are. Thanks!

I recently went from HOB's on my 115G cichlid tank to a canister. I have never had clearer water. I am currently running a Rena XP3 and one HOB with just floss to polish the water the the tank looks like there is no water in it its so clear. If you have the means I highly recommend a canister. Rena and Eheim seem to be the top recommended ones.

go with a canister if you have the funds... i had a canister and hob on my 55's and my water stayed perfectly clear... they also require much less maintenence in the long run and you will end up saving money... you can get a fluval 305 online for around $140... i like the fluvals, but everybody has their favorite... if you dont want to spend that much, you can go to walmart and get an aqua-tech 30-60. they do a good job and are super quiet... i think they cost around $30-40... its always better to have filters rated for bigger tanks... Get a canister, keep the hob and you will never regret it

also, what kind of fish do you plan on stocking it with? i noticed in your intro you were asking about plants as well... plants will depend on your fish and lighting, lighting being a key factor, cichlids being another...

I have a Rena XP2 on my 46. It’s totally quiet, I clean it out once every 6 weeks or so. I use the supplied sponges in the bottom starting with the coursest first. Middle basket has Rena starz and Walmart polyfil in the top basket. If you go with polyfil do not get the fireproof kind, it’s treated with chemicals.

The water is clear and like I said the filter is quiet. I have to hold my hand over the spraybar to make sure it’s running. Maintenance is also easy. To clean, just unplug the power, lift the hose latch and remove the filter for cleaning.

When it’s done, just assemble the canister and replace it EMPTY. When you engage the hose release, the water fills the canister.

Good luck
Charles

I'm a fan of multiple filters so I would recommend a canister AND the HOB. What type of filter is it? We run most of our tanks with various combos of ACs and XPs. I'd use an AC110 and an XP2 or 3 on a new 55. I do like to stock on the heavy side though.

the best filtration believe it or not would prob be a sump and a canister. i am with HN on this about multiple filters.

On my 75 I have two canisters, one with the intake at the bottom of the tank, one with the intake at the top... I also run a large pond sponge-filter, driven by an airstone with a "T" off the airline to a battery-powered back-up air pump that comes on in the frequent Florida power outages, just to keep some water moving and help with nitrate removal on some level when the canisters can't run...

I am overstocked though, so I consider this over-filtering. You could get away with a canister only, or a canister plus a HOB...

you can never go wrong with two types of filters. If you shell out the money for a canister keep the HOB going in your tank as well. You never know when you may aquire another tank and need something to kick start the cycling.

You never know when you may aquire another tank and need something to kick start the cycling.

+1... The sponge filter I described in my last post is actually able to break up into two separate sponge filters, perfect for a hospital/quarantine tank, etc...

Odd though. I had a sponge sitting in my one 20g (just posted and forgot to mention it) for a few weeks. Wanting to have it collect bacteria.

Well put it in my 20g that I want to cycle. It is had gray/black cloud come out of it when I turned it in in the new tank. Was that a bacteria cloud or just half digested wastes and food.

I really like the sponges but the only down side is that they just look ugly sitting in a tank. And I guess building a wall of plants or decorations around them would lower it's effectiveness?

Back
Top Bottom