Big Dillemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having a very hard time with my tank, and i'm not sure what to do. Earlier this month I was going through what I thought was a mini cycle but what I now believe is a complete re cycle but with my tank's full bio load. It started after I began using cold water for water changes because my dad said the hot water might not be good because of supposed "junk" in it. After a while, I began seeing ammonia spikes, so I did more water changes still w/ cold water. To be ctd.

Have you changed any filter media? How cold was the water?

In general that you always want to mix your water so that it is as close to the temperature of the water you are taking out. I suppose that too cold of water could kill bacteria, but I'm not an expert on that. At the very least, you are stressing the heck out of your fish. Let's see what the experts say about the temperature issue.

Sorry about that.

Anyway, I believe the cold water killed off my nitrifying bacteria causing a total recycle. It sucks because i've had to do water changes daily to keep ammonia at bay and I would rather not go through another cycle(The first one was 6 weeks long.) I dont know what to do. I dont want to abandon my fish but I already had a few losses amd dont want them to suffer, but I realize it woukd be easier if I gave them to my LFS or something. Anyone have advice, input, etc?Anything
would be helpful

If you're not killing fish with cold water, you're probably not killing the bacteria. You should always try to match the water temperature of the tank when doing water changes. Personally, I go with room temperature water by just letting the water sit out before I pour it into the tank. That way it gets a chance to warm up. The swing in water change can cause shock to the fish. Too much stress may end up killing fish.

Are you putting dechlorinator into the water? Chlorine will definitely kill the fish and the bacteria.

How big is the tank? What kind of filter is on it? What do you have in the tank?

Of course i'm using dechlor. Seachem prime. And I am and have been using water that matches the temp of the aquarium(corrected a couple weeks ago). I have a 29g with two filters, a top fin 30 that came with it and an aqua clear 50.
But this still isnt explaining the ammonia spikes i'm having daily. Maybe I will try bio spira...

If you do, don't add prime or anything for awhile, as some of those products can mess with the Bio-Spira's reproduction.

Prime is fine to use with BioSpira - I've done it several times (initial cycle on 4 tanks - its more expensive then moving filter media but I figure that BioSpira is also a way to NOT transfer algae spores)

Really? I tried Prime and Bio-Spira once to bad results, might have just been that packet of the Bio-Spira. Sorry for the mis information.

are you over feeding, is there food left over? are there any rotting plants or a dead fish?

Back
Top Bottom