Buying Tank Necessities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlNamedJamie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since Petco is currently doing their $1 per gallon, I'm thinking about buying either a 29g or a 40b. It will be my first tank, so I'll have to buy everything!

I'm looking for advice on what products to buy! I don't want to cheapest of the cheap, but I also don't want to spend an outrageous amount either. As I get further into the hobby, and know more about what I'm doing, I plan on upgrading a few things. So, basically, budget friendly. :)

I don't expect you to list every item needed, but if you have a favorite or two, please let me know!

Thanks!

Go with the bigger tank, you have more options for fish

1. Filter. size depends on the tank.
2. Heater ^^^
3. Substrate..pool filter sand is cheap and easy. Petco will rip you off on substrate
4. Rocks..can be found locally as long as the water supply is not polluted.
Boil Them in a pot to kill any nasty things that may be living on them.
5. Dechlorinator..most of us here use Prime
6. decorations - whatever you like
7. food for fish

extra's that will make your life a lot easier in this hobby

Python or Aqueon water changer

magnetic algae scrapper, no need to get your whole arm wet anymore.

I'm sure i forgot a few things, others will chime in..good luck with your new tank and make sure to cycle it!

Nets. Fish nets in a few sizes are helpful. A decent light. T5 HO lights are nice to start with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depending on how you are (I love planting tanks, but I also love bare bottoms so my tanks are scaped differently based on the tank), you could totally run sponge filters. Nice and cheap.

I also agree with the 40 B. Great idea. It gives you a lot of space to work with.

The petco dollar per gallon sale is on for the next 9 days so make sure you decide and buy a tank soon, bigger is better. :)

Since this is your first tank, keep it nice and simple.

Fluorescent fixture, heater, sponge filter or an aquaclear whisper or emperor, bare bottom or some substrate (depends on personal preference and what you like keeping), some plants if you are into that. Maybe some plant supplements, but you won't need them now. Dechlorinator is important too, but other than that, you are pretty set. Oh and a testing kit. Liquid preferred, but you can work with the paper ones if you are careful.

Starting Out

Hello Jam...

Here's the basics: A 55 gallon tank. Just the tank. Bigger is better. A glass bi-fold canopy. A 48 inch two bulb shop light fixture and bulbs at the hardware store. Some bags of polished pea-sized gravel at the pet store. 4 or 5 bags is plenty. A couple of Theo 150 watt heaters. A Hagen AC 70 filter. Some floating plants like Hornwort and Anacharis. A small thermometer with a suction cup.

Total is around $200.00.

B

Go with the bigger tank, you have more options for fish

1. Filter. size depends on the tank.
2. Heater ^^^
3. Substrate..pool filter sand is cheap and easy. Petco will rip you off on substrate
4. Rocks..can be found locally as long as the water supply is not polluted.
Boil Them in a pot to kill any nasty things that may be living on them.
5. Dechlorinator..most of us here use Prime
6. decorations - whatever you like
7. food for fish

extra's that will make your life a lot easier in this hobby

Python or Aqueon water changer

magnetic algae scrapper, no need to get your whole arm wet anymore.

I'm sure i forgot a few things, others will chime in..good luck with your new tank and make sure to cycle it!

Stop recommending boiling rocks. It will kill someone! boiling rocks can explode. I know others have said this before. leaving them out to dry and they are fine.

Bigger is better especially starting out it gives you more water volume so it makes mistakes easier to correct with out loosing fish.

I prefer a 40b over the 55 because I like the foot print better. Foot print is very important for some types of fish. If you are doing mubuna cichlids 55 is a very popular size.

I know you are looking for brand and model selections but that is all preference most of the stuff out there today is good. Marineland, Aqueon, API.

You will need the following:
1. Filter - hang on the back filters are great for beginners.
2. Glass Canopy
3. Prime or other water conditioner
4. Heater unless you are going with goldfish or other cold water fish
5. Lights (not a necessity but makes the tank nicer)
5a. LEDs are more popular than florescent but people have been using florescent for a long time so if $$ is an issue go with florescent.
6. Syphon for water changes either a hand vac syphone or one that hooks to your sink like a python
7. 5 gallon bucket for water changes (if you aren't using python but generally good to have on hand)
8. Thermometer
9. Net

Research the fish you want

Then get the appropriate
1. Substrate
2. Decorations
3. Food

Stop recommending boiling rocks. It will kill someone! boiling rocks can explode. I know others have said this before. leaving them out to dry and they are fine.

Agreed. Especially river rock. It can explode under high temperatures

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

to each his own buddy. I also use bleach that people swear you can't do..hmm all my fish are healthy and happy though..If people were breeding fish on a large scale they would absolutely be using bleach

Yah,def. No boiling rocks.. I'm sure some are fine but I'd hate to be the one that finds out that's it's the kind you can't boil.. because it explodes.. in your kitchen.. expedites 10000 tiny particles at about 1000 fps towards your face.. tough to enjoy tanks with no face.. i just scrub them in a bucket of warm water.. I've dug them out of the ground.. no issues.. a little hydrogen peroxide as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally use bleach in a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water solution. After soaking in the bleach solution I rinse everything very well with tap water. I allow it to air dry for a day or two which allows the bleach to break down into NaCl or common table salt. I then rinse the rocks again with tap water, then place in a bucket with water and prime for another day just for safe measure, but isn't really necessary

I have had 0 issues doing it this way for years. It also works for plastic plants, filters, tanks, nets, sponges, bio rings etc.. If your dealing with expensive fish you do not just chance putting any rocks from the ground in the tank. This is just my opinion and everyone does things in their own way

I'm not sure if it was possible to update my original post, but I decided on the 29g! For the available space we have in our apartment & the budget, we thought it would be better- especially my husband. ;) haha I was rooting for the 40!

.... Anyways, I've purchased the tank and the Aqueon QuietFlow Filter 30 (seemed like a good deal in the store). I'm going to a little research online before I actually open it though, just in case!

Now, I'm going to look through the suggestions you all made and make some online purchases! I'm excited :)

Just in case I missed it-

API freshwater master test kit (covers ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Quite cheap online.

Filters - with HOB filters and the like, you will usually see directions to replace the foam or filter sponge every month or so. You don't really need to do this. I just clean and re-use until falling apart (a long time). Even filter wool in HOB cartridge filters I will just clean and re-use.

I agree that rocks are not to be boiled. I had to take care of my husband after an accident involving high speed rock particles, fire, and an explosion. Let me say, not fun and not cheap. The bleach solution method (with caution and patience), or the hydrogen peroxide method are the best way to go imho. Congrats on the new tank and be ready to get sucked into it! It is one of the most satisfying hobbies I have, and I'm always happy to see others discover it (or re-discover it).

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

I'm looking for advice on what products to buy! I don't want to cheapest of the cheap, but I also don't want to spend an outrageous amount either. As I get further into the hobby, and know more about what I'm doing, I plan on upgrading a few things. So, basically, budget friendly. :)

I don't expect you to list every item needed, but if you have a favorite or two, please let me know!

Thanks!

Oh, and I absolutely love the API products. If you want to have live plants without a heavy price, the leaf zone and root tabs from API have worked well for me! I will be eventually upgrading to a CO2 system, but until then, I'm getting decent growth with those two products.

? Diana Lee ?

I agree that rocks are not to be boiled. I had to take care of my husband after an accident involving high speed rock particles, fire, and an explosion. Let me say, not fun and not cheap. The bleach solution method (with caution and patience), or the hydrogen peroxide method are the best way to go imho. Congrats on the new tank and be ready to get sucked into it! It is one of the most satisfying hobbies I have, and I'm always happy to see others discover it (or re-discover it).

? Diana Lee ?

may I ask, was this a camping accident? only reason I ask is because people get rocks from the river and put them around the fire, these rocks become "super heated" much hotter than what can be achieved on your stove. Most of the time a rock will just crack not explode unless air pockets are in the rock and they are super heated.

Good call on the api products, I also use them for my planted tank. Don't really need an expensive co2 system if what you are doing works just fine. I noticed significant growth with my amazon swords from just root tabs. The fish provide enough c02 for the plants

Just a few rambling thoughts.

First, boiling rocks exploding -- until someone shows some proof -- I call myth. Break - maybe. BAKING rocks with dry heat I might believe, as some people do that in ovens. Steaming rocks - maybe bad idea for same reason, because baking and steaming can raise the temperature of the rock WAY above boiling. I still would have trouble thinking it could really explode but it's at least plausible.

But BOILING a rock means the temperature of the water it is boiling in is at 212F (sea level and clean water). It cannot get above 212F. The rock is going to VERY slowly (because that's the nature of rocks) come to 212F, and even if it had a nice sealed pocket of water inside it's very unlikely the water is clean enough to boil at 212F, more likely it has salts of various sorts that will keep it from boiling. And the bath it is in cannot get hotter than 212F. In fact most people who "boil" rocks or driftwood do so at a slow simmer, which if you measure it is probably about 190F.

Be safe if it makes you feel better and don't boil them, but I'd really like to see someone who is so strident about the warnings offer some evidence it really happens as opposed to a continued myth?

Anyway... rambling to the OP's question...

If I could do one thing different I'd just have stopped, and done a lot more reading and thinking and looking and research first. Practically everything I bought initially (except a pricey heater someone talked me into, and an API test kit same thing) was junk.

I went through two HOB filters being told they were quiet -- they weren't.

I rushed to put fish in -- I should not have, I should have done a fishless cycle.

I didn't have a clue how to do planted and thought I could decide that later -- you can't really. If you want a planted tank you really need to start that way first. Which means you need to decide what kind of planted tank - high tech, low, low light, etc. Lights now you need to think about LED vs Florescent.

If you just buy a tank with "LED lights" at a sale, it won't do plants (probably). That's great if you don't want to do plants, but it means it's trash if you do.

It doesn't really sink in for a lot of people that bigger really is EASIER for a fish tank, within reason. So long as you can manage the water changes OK, bigger is more stable. Always.

It's practically impossible to figure all this out without actually going through it and buying something and making the mistakes, but you can read and talk to people and avoid a bunch of them.

For example -- think about where you are putting the tank, and work mentally through how you are going to change water. Do you have a path for buckets or hoses to where you plan to get it from? To get it out to discard?

Do you have a way to get the water at or near tank temperature?

Or more basic -- do you want salt water or fresh (HUGE differences in what you need to do there).

Do you want a peaceful community tank, or something with more aggressive (and oddly that often means more beautiful) fish. Some fish, for example, you only want rock in the tank; some plants or decorations are good. Some need caves, some don't.

One good approach is see if there's an aquarium club nearby, often that has lots of people who are interested and love to talk about what they have/do, and will share what they learned.

In general don't listen to anyone at a chain pet store. Sometimes they are knowledgeable, more often they are filled with rote stories and info that's more wrong than right. At the very least take what they recommend and go verify it online after the fact.

Perhaps the biggest thing you need to obtain is a HUGE dose of patience. Most things take time - cycling the tank is just the first. If you rush and buy stuff, you will just end up replacing it, all too often. If you can get the right size tank, that's one semi-exception, as a tank just holds water. It's all the other stuff that has too many choices. But even a tank can be an issue -- tall tanks for example are not as easy to keep as planted tanks as shallow tanks.

Sorry for a long ramble.... hope it at least makes you think...

Lin.. while I'm sure you're correct, seems you're pretty freakin smaht;) some rocks contain gas pockets or voids.. even at low temps (-125°), surely said pocket could expand resulting in an explosion of sorts.. it's just one of those things.. better safe than sorry..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lin.. while I'm sure you're correct, seems you're pretty freakin smaht;) some rocks contain gas pockets or voids.. even at low temps (-125°), surely said pocket could expand resulting in an explosion of sorts.. it's just one of those things.. better safe than sorry..

Everyone has to decide on their own level of risk, but if you do a search you just see this repeated over and over again, often with huge bold print and (at least that I can find) never with a single verifiable example.

To be fair, one cannot prove a negative in most cases, so it is not possible to prove it is impossible for there to exist a rock that won't explode if boiled.

And frankly I shouldn't tilt at windmills, really....

But every once in a while you just want to say to people repeating what they heard (and not what they know for a fact)... "That doesn't help".

We didn't all become weightless on "weightless day" either, when the plants (they didn't even) aligned. The flu shot can't give you the flu. Or any other oft-repeated things....

Back
Top Bottom