Classroom Tank Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sms1852

Aquarium Advice Regular
My class pet Casper, a Betta Fish was donated by a parent in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank. After accidentally killing him with the first water change, I have done lots of research & now know that a 1 gallon is unsuitable for a Betta. I did get a replacement Betta. I the recently won a 10 gallon tank for my 2nd grade classroom which I have not added fish to yet. It came with a filter and a heater. I'd like to add tank mates but am afraid of the consequences . I've read that neon tetra & corys are a good bet. Would you risk it? Also what is the best & easiest way to cycle my tank?

The best and easiest way to cycle your tank is to get established filter media.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame you too much for Casper's passing. Poor fish.

That 10 gallon would be great for the new betta. I wouldn't add anything until it's cycled, and I'm not very knowledgeable about tetras or cories.

Welcome to the forum!

The safest way to cycle your tank, would be to use the fishless cycling method. You can find a lot of info on here or on the internet. Basically, you just add fish food every day or every other and the beneficial bacteria will form to break down the ammonia created by the food. A test kit works best to test this ( it normally takes a month or so to complete).

As for the fish, I'll let someone else give advice, as I've never kept a betta with other fish. I will say that corys are normally pretty peaceful, but they like to be in a school of 5-6.

I don't think Bettas are very agressive to other fish, just to their own kind.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for your replies. I'm very excited about setting up tank. Here's a picture of my tank, it's a Marineland 10 Gallon with a Biofilter & a heater. Can I add a live plant to it that will survive with my current set up? IMG_0669.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 239
Tetras (except for neon tetras) need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of a minimum of six. Also, Cories need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of at least six. Pygmy Cories will work in a ten gallon, but they don't look like normal cories if that was the look you were going for. I'd say you could heavily plant the tank with a Java moss carpet and Java ferns, maybe a few Amazon swords and some type of wisteria. Then you could get a big group of RCS (red cherry shrimp) and have them breed (breeding them is easy, they do it by themselves) and then you can raise a big colony, and then get some nano fish that can't harm the shrimp, like: Endlers, Chili Rasboras, Neon Tetras, etc.

And then maybe two or three nerite snails.
That'll make for the perfect tank. Good luck with cycling!

Tetras (except for neon tetras) need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of a minimum of six. Also, Cories need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of at least six. Pygmy Cories will work in a ten gallon, but they don't look like normal cories if that was the look you were going for. I'd say you could heavily plant the tank with a Java moss carpet and Java ferns, maybe a few Amazon swords and some type of wisteria. Then you could get a big group of RCS (red cherry shrimp) and have them breed (breeding them is easy, they do it by themselves) and then you can raise a big colony, and then get some nano fish that can't harm the shrimp, like: Endlers, Chili Rasboras, Neon Tetras, etc.

And then maybe two or three nerite snails.
That'll make for the perfect tank. Good luck with cycling!

I'm leaning towards neon tetras to start. But I'm not putting any in until my tank is cycled & my class does some research. I'm going to give them the following article & have each group of students write the pros and cons of each tank mate. I'm also going to look into getting some java moss. https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Tankmates-for-Bettas-and-Betta-Fish-in-a-Community-Tank

I'm very new to fish keeping so I haven't bought a testing kit yet. As part of the grant I got I was told to let the tank run for a week & then take a water sample to Pet Supermarket for them to test. They advised me not to put an fish in it until they test the water & give me the okay.

As for keeping tank mates, given that this is a classroom and not a home, I would say don't do it. Normally I would say maybe depending on the fish but given the classroom and lack of experience (no offense,) I would strongly recommend keeping the betta alone..with maybe some cool snails [emoji222].
If you decide you want tank mates anyway, I'd stay away from any tetras and any schooling fish. Corys are usually okay to keep with bettas but you should have at least 6, and with the betta in a ten gallon, that's pushing it, and they really should have a sand bottom. A lot depends on your betta...bettas are such inquisitive creatures and their behavior and temperament widely vary. I am an advocate for saying that bettas can indeed have tank mates but under very specific conditions and limitations. I feel most hobbyists would actually recommend no tank mates what so ever, other than snails. A betta can get along great with other fish and snap at any point, even a year after no incidents have occurred. With your situation, the gravel tank, I assume it won't be "heavily planted,"classroom setting, inexperience, etc...don't risk it...my recommendation. If you had sand and a lot of plants, you could get the Pygmy corys.

You seem to be on the right track for cycling and what not. My opinion: you don't need to wait until the cycle is complete to add a betta in a ten gallon. You should indeed wait for a bit...add food like suggested several times every few days for a week or two, and then wait a week or two and add the fish. If adding tankmates, no matter the kind, wait until it's cycled. But then again tank mates should be added before a betta in my opinion to reduce the risk of betta becoming territorial right off the bat. Hope this helps. I'm no expert but I do have lots of experience in this matter and have done endless research myself. Many people will have different opinions based off of their specific experiences, and that's ok, many things in this hobby aren't carved in stone if you catch my drift. So many variables. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

I still haven't added fish but added some decorations that were donated. The kids came back from winter break today & loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 134
I say that neon tetras would be a good tank mate but they are schooling fish and need about six of them. They are fast fish and can get away quickly from any troubles!

Be careful with bettas and tankmates. Some will tolerate it, some won't, and some will tolerate it until they don't. I'm sure other people will chime in with stories of their betta suddenly "snapping" and killing off tankmates. IMO better off not to take that risk. If you want to do more than one fish there's tons of things you can do in a 10 gallon tank.

Update: Today was the day I moved the Betta into his new ten gallon. A few hours later he got stuck in his castle's window. My friend was able to get him out but he lost half his tail in the process. He stayed in one spot for a while but was swimming around a little when I left school. What can I do to help him heal? I hope he makes it through the night.

Update: Today was the day I moved the Betta into his new ten gallon. A few hours later he got stuck in his castle's window. My friend was able to get him out but he lost half his tail in the process. He stayed in one spot for a while but was swimming around a little when I left school. What can I do to help him heal? I hope he makes it through the night.

Hey there! Sorry about your betta!

I'm new to the hobby myself, but I was thinking that you might try Catappa leaves (Indian Almond Leaves, Indian Almond Leaves | How and when to use them! – Aquariadise). They have antibacterial and antifungal properties. They also simulate a more natural betta fish environment, simulating the leaf litter they would encounter in the wild. They do however release tannins in the water which might make the water slightly brown--or very brown if you use too many. Not harmful to the fish though.

I'd also recommend getting a "betta leaf". They are widely sold online (Amazon) and in some pet stores. Bettas like to rest and will often find a place to lie down. Ideally, you would place the betta leaf near the surface where the dissolved oxygen concentration is higher and towards the back of the tank where they are more inclined to feel safe using it.

Hope your fish feels better! Good luck!

I'm too new to offer any advice but my heart goes out to you. Hang in there!

Just keep up with water changes to keep it clean. Do you put a bit of aquarium salt in the water? I have read that helps.

Since I have a Betta of my own, I have done some research on this kind of subject to be prepared for a 'just-in-case' situation.

Currently, the best advice I have for you is to keep an eye on Casper, provide a good, consistent water temperature (70-79 Fahrenheit since warm water helps Bettas recover faster), listen to what the others say about aquarium salt, and provide good feed. Maybe try to figure out how to close off the gap that Casper got himself stuck into so it doesn't happen again. From the sounds of things, I think Casper is a fish that'll try and get into every little nook and cranny of the tank...even if he isn't supposed to fit. I know this cause I got one such fish myself. You'll just have to be careful with the decorations, and give him some time to recover. If he keeps refusing to eat, maybe make a quick stop at the closest LFS and grab ZooMed's Dial-a-Treat to tempt him into eating something. I have heard whispers that Daphnia, which is part of the three dried foods that come with Dial-a-Treat, is supposed to be good for helping a Betta fish recover but I am not sure if that is anything other than rumours.

In regards to whether or not Casper will make it? Well, I have heard of Bettas going through much worse than what you just described and going on to live good lives. Like this rescued fish. I'm pretty sure Casper will make it. Hope that my advice helps. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom