Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Classroom Tank Advice Needed

My class pet Casper, a Betta Fish was donated by a parent in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank. After accidentally killing him with the first water change, I have done lots of research & now know that a 1 gallon is unsuitable for a Betta. I did get a replacement Betta. I the recently won a 10 gallon tank for my 2nd grade classroom which I have not added fish to yet. It came with a filter and a heater. I'd like to add tank mates but am afraid of the consequences . I've read that neon tetra & corys are a good bet. Would you risk it? Also what is the best & easiest way to cycle my tank?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best and easiest way to cycle your tank is to get established filter media.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame you too much for Casper's passing. Poor fish.

That 10 gallon would be great for the new betta. I wouldn't add anything until it's cycled, and I'm not very knowledgeable about tetras or cories.

Welcome to the forum!

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
NRB
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The safest way to cycle your tank, would be to use the fishless cycling method. You can find a lot of info on here or on the internet. Basically, you just add fish food every day or every other and the beneficial bacteria will form to break down the ammonia created by the food. A test kit works best to test this ( it normally takes a month or so to complete).

As for the fish, I'll let someone else give advice, as I've never kept a betta with other fish. I will say that corys are normally pretty peaceful, but they like to be in a school of 5-6.

I don't think Bettas are very agressive to other fish, just to their own kind.

Good Luck!!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your replies. I'm very excited about setting up tank. Here's a picture of my tank, it's a Marineland 10 Gallon with a Biofilter & a heater. Can I add a live plant to it that will survive with my current set up? [ATTACH]292854
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	292854  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Java ferns would probably do well.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tetras (except for neon tetras) need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of a minimum of six. Also, Cories need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of at least six. Pygmy Cories will work in a ten gallon, but they don't look like normal cories if that was the look you were going for. I'd say you could heavily plant the tank with a Java moss carpet and Java ferns, maybe a few Amazon swords and some type of wisteria. Then you could get a big group of RCS (red cherry shrimp) and have them breed (breeding them is easy, they do it by themselves) and then you can raise a big colony, and then get some nano fish that can't harm the shrimp, like: Endlers, Chili Rasboras, Neon Tetras, etc.

And then maybe two or three nerite snails.
That'll make for the perfect tank. Good luck with cycling!

Crazy Fish Lady that needs an intervention...

FishMommy8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMommy8962 View Post
Tetras (except for neon tetras) need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of a minimum of six. Also, Cories need a twenty gallon minimum and need to be in groups of at least six. Pygmy Cories will work in a ten gallon, but they don't look like normal cories if that was the look you were going for. I'd say you could heavily plant the tank with a Java moss carpet and Java ferns, maybe a few Amazon swords and some type of wisteria. Then you could get a big group of RCS (red cherry shrimp) and have them breed (breeding them is easy, they do it by themselves) and then you can raise a big colony, and then get some nano fish that can't harm the shrimp, like: Endlers, Chili Rasboras, Neon Tetras, etc.

And then maybe two or three nerite snails.
That'll make for the perfect tank. Good luck with cycling!

I'm leaning towards neon tetras to start. But I'm not putting any in until my tank is cycled & my class does some research. I'm going to give them the following article & have each group of students write the pros and cons of each tank mate. I'm also going to look into getting some java moss. https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquarium...Community-Tank
Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

[ATTACH]292872Added a Anubia plant my BIL gave me & an old filter from one of his tanks. I think it looks a little better today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	292872  
Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1852 View Post
[ATTACH]292872Added a Anubia plant my BIL gave me & an old filter from one of his tanks. I think it looks a little better today.

What are your current parameters?

Crazy Fish Lady that needs an intervention...

FishMommy8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm very new to fish keeping so I haven't bought a testing kit yet. As part of the grant I got I was told to let the tank run for a week & then take a water sample to Pet Supermarket for them to test. They advised me not to put an fish in it until they test the water & give me the okay.

Tags
advice, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sand | QT filter? »