Couple questions from a new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well

Only a few people seemed to notice the well water that solie has. I think that we have a few situations we need to figure out. My first question is, when you move, will it be someplace that also has well water, or will it be city water? I think that's important. If you'll be on well water for a long time we'll need to figure some things out. If you end up on city water then we just need to figure something out for the next 6 months. Like a few other people mentioned though, the goldfish and koi really should go back unless you want them to end up being flushed sometime in the near future. Sounds harsh but it's the truth. You see it on tv ALL the time, little goldfish being flushed down the drain... those things are supposed to get big enough that you'd have a hard time flushing... I was over someone's house once they had 2 or 3 goldfish that were at least 6 inches long... they started out as 10 cent fish they bought at a bait shop... And if you are ever in a place, walmart or elsewhere, that doesn't know what they are selling you, turn and run... that's just bad news...

When I move I will also be on well water. The fish I plan to put in a fish pond over at my boss' house. I don't plan on buying fish from walmart anymore. It was just easier than driving an hour the other way to PetCo.
The LFS around here don't take care of their fish. There is usually 5 or 6 fish floating on the top of each tanks with crap growing on them. Not many choices around here.

Eh..better Walmart than petNo.least the staff will be friendlier and the fish alive long enough to buy them...! There are always exceptions but I have disliked Petco in KY, TN, AZ, some CA and WA. Any placee with mammal carcasses in a cage more than 24 hours gets a big mark in the blacklist for me. You can always order online.

He said Walmart OR elsewhere. If they cannot tell you with an open honest manner that your fish gets THIS big... or the dead fish are caused by "x" then you get pig in a poke fish. And someone may have eaten the pig. Smaller lake cichlids maybe...though they get gold sized they are not so messy and such oxygen hogs.
I only know golds and koi. I cannot reliably give you a hardwater fish suggestion from the tropical side except maybe brakish fish and types of guppy.

Trouble is you have two problems..a small tank and hard water. There are not many fish that can do both. And moving always makes it tougher.
Even with a friend with a pond..his pond isn't tHAT big..how many handme downs will he take before you are stuck with the fish at that moment? A well filtered tank could hold a SINGLE small oranda. No company. A 15 and you can add a bottom feeder (but why bother since most small bottom feeders require groups). There are exceptions here and then..but not that many before something is belly up.
A 10 gallon could hold a bunch of cute anoles though ^_^. (jkg)

Back
Top Bottom