Cycle Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightningryan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tested my tank and here are the results:

Nitrate - 40
Nirtite - Higher than 10 which is the highest
Hardness - 75
Alkalinity - 80
PH - 6.8

I did a 25% water change because the nitrite was way high. now tell me what i need to do next and how often i need to test and change my water.

Thanks

Keep changing water I would say 50% until the nitrite goes way down. At least under 1. Are there fish in the tank?

I also thought cycling took a copule weeks and you just told me to change the water now till it gets low nitrite. I thought you said it took a while and you are saying it takes a day. Tell me what i need to do. how often do i water change?

Help me dont lie

with fish in the tank you need to change water as much as possible to keep nitrites under .5 and ammonia under 1. The cycle takes a month or more. Keep testing and keep changing water.

to speed up your cycle you can order some Bio Spira 7-12 dollars on most sites.

otherwise, it takes several weeks, and personally i change the water every 3 days for 6 weeks, then i start checking for nitrites/nitrates. I am very religious with my 3 day waterchanges. 10gal tanks are sensitive to new tank syndrome anyway, but you have to maintain your waterchanges. good luck.

i also did a 75% water change and filled it back up and here are the new results:

Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 5.0
Hardness - 75
Alkalinity - 120
PH - 6.6

Ammonia is not nitrite. Get an ammonia test. 5 is better but not good. I would do another pwc as soon as you can.

I can't believe those neons are still living. Definately get a test kit for Ammonia (ditch the strips, they are not accurate and are ALOT more expensive). You may be getting false readings on the Nitrites. You need to get a liquid reagent test kit like the AP Freshwater Master Test Kit. Until you can get one, take water to the lfs (that doesn't use test strips) and have them test your levels. This is very important during the cycling process. I question the Nitrite reading because Neon's will definately die in that level.

Ok, I did yet annother 25% PWC and here are the newest results:

Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 5.0
Hardness - 75
Alkalinity - 120
PH - 7.2

The only thing that happend this time differnet from the last time is the PH went up, is that bad?
and the Nitrite stayed the same.

Quickly get rid of the Test strips and get the Liquid test kits, like FishyFanatic said they are innaccurate, if thats the real level of Nitrites then I am a monkeys uncle. (sorry for the over used cliche) but just keep check the water (with liquid test kits) every day and change water when necessary. For example I have a 55gal cycling right now and in the last week I have done 3 30% PWCs and it's all for my fishy friends.

Good Luck and Have fun!

I highly question the Nitrite reading. Your fish would all be dead. Liquid reagents are the best way to go.

Criptos said:
Quickly get rid of the Test strips and get the Liquid test kits, like FishyFanatic said they are innaccurate, if thats the real level of Nitrites then I am a monkeys uncle. (sorry for the over used cliche) but just keep check the water (with liquid test kits) every day and change water when necessary. For example I have a 55gal cycling right now and in the last week I have done 3 30% PWCs and it's all for my fishy friends.

Good Luck and Have fun!

How do i know how many times and how much% I do water changes?I havent changed the water today so here is a updated results with the TESTER Strips, not liquid, cant afford it.

Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 5.0
Hardness - 75
Alkalinity - 40
PH - 7.4

The only thing that happened this time is ph went up and alkalinity went down.
Is this good or bad help?

How do i know how many times and how much% I do water changes?

I thought you guys are supposted to tell me this

the important thing is the levels of ammonia and nitrite...they guide how much water you need to change and how often you need to do it. try to keep ammonia levels below 1.0 ppm and nitrite below 0.5ppm. It is even better if you can keep both below 0.5.

People are urging you to get a better water testing kit, because the levels you are reporting now are extremely high, yet your fish are still alive....Therefore, people aren't sure that you are getting accurate readings. The test kits with liquid drops (like the one by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) usually give more accurate results than test strips.

If your levels really are that high, you need to be doing large water changes to save your fish. People are not lying to you. Often 20 percent changes work fine during a cycle, but if you have done that and your levels are still this high, you clearly need to do larger water changes until you get your levels back into a safe range for your fish.

Are you using any other chemicals that could be affecting the results of these tests?

ok but you still arent telling me how often i change the water and how much %.

I changed the water just a half hour ago 25% and here are the new results:

Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 4.0
Hardness - 150
Alkalinity - 80
PH - 7.2

It is going down that is good. I have to agree with others please get the liquid test kit it is much more accurate. If your levels are correct, I can't see how your neons would still be alive. If you can't afford the test get your water tested for your at your LFS.

The volume of PWC depends on your levels from your tests. There is no hard and fast rule about the percentages.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom