Cycle levels ... The Pond's progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a betta with goldfish? you are aware that goldfish are coldwater fish while a betta is not. right?

There was some method to my madness ....

The catfish was selected because it a) naturally exists in the same waters as goldfish (carp); b) I need something to clean the bottom; and c) the other "catfish" types in the same tank were all -according to the labels- considered 'jumpers,' needing a closed tank.

As for the Betta ... I have one book, devoted to Bettas alone, that asserts that bettas prefer cooler water, as in under 70 degrees. I have seen numerous Bettas exist happily in table top bowls .... whose water, when measured, almost always is below 70 degrees.

The Betta is, right now, the smallest fish in the pond ... maybe 80% the size of the goldfish, and a third the size of the catfish. The catfish looks about twice the size of the goldfish. While the betta has preferred to hide, in encounters with the catfish, the catfish has been in a positive rush to get away.

As with the catfish, I have been cautioned that the goldfish will become huge. Perhaps. Yet, since this pond is readily accessible to my cats - indeed, the cats were part of the reason behind this project - I do not expect the fish to get to be TOO big. :D Right now, the cats are content to just watch.

With the increase in temperature, and light, I am currently dealing with a brown algae bloom. Filter change, water change, algaecide .... with another water change planned for tomorrow. Changes are in the 50-60% range. I also need to replace my water lettuce, which had it's roots stripped by the (conventional) filter used before.

New Pic ... I't up and running!

As long promised, here's a pic of my little indoor pond:

img_804433_0_d7a29a97de025e8e9e6d901441e78d56.jpg

The blue sheet wraps around water that is falling from a trough on top. This makes for a quiet, splatter-free waterfall. As you can see, the cats love to lay up top!

The light you see is a compact fluorescent made especially for UV light, so as to help with plant growth. It is compared, by the manufacturer, to a 130 watt 'normal' bulb. It is mounted about 4 ft above the water.

A separate pump was needed for the waterfall; the filter just didn't have the oomph.

The pond tub is actually a double basin; the inner liner has many holes, and makes the space in between the liners an under-gravel filter. Most recent tests .... much to may amazement ... were zeros across the board :)

Population, right now, is six goldfish and one Beta. The catfish lasted about a week, then grew listless. Water temp is maintained at 70F.

I have softened the water flow through the pond; for a while, there were some pretty strong currents. The Beta has come out from hiding. Oddly enough, now it's the goldfish that are shy!

The algae bloomed, and was filtered out. Still not crystal clear, but we're getting there!

Back
Top Bottom