Cycled already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

I have about a 4 week old tank.

I had huge ammonia spikes, done several water changes.

I used the same bio-bag and black media sponge through everything.

About a week ago I got the ammonia down to 0, nitrites 0 & nitrates 0.

Last Sunday I brought the ammonia up to about .25 from feeding again, all week it hovered around .25 and .50. I performed no water changes and over a 24 hour period I slacked on Nitrite tests, today after testing, my ammonia is barely detectable and my Nitrates are at 5.0.

I have performed the tests about 4 times now and come out with the same 5.0 reading, so I am quite confident in my results. Although I missed the nitrite spike and this has made me reluctant to add new fish to my aquarium.

When I was having the huge ammonia spike problems (4ppm to be exact), I had a huge bacteria bloom and the water was so cloudy I could not even see in the tank, so after seeing that 2 weeks ago & having the results I'm having now, I do believe my initial cycle is completed.

What is your opinion?

IMO, I think you are in for a huge surprise if you add fish now. I would expect a huge ammonia or nitrite spike sooner or later. I wouldn't trust any fish I want to live with the tank until I knew it was ready. Wait another 3 weeks or so, get some feeder guppies to build the bioload slowly as they grow and breed. Sell them or give them back to the LFS when the tank is staying normal regularly. I will never put "good" fish in a tank again until it has ran for at least 2 months if not 3.

Selling or returning the fish is not an option.

No stores in my area will take them back.

How am I in for a huge surprise if my Nitrates are reading 5.0ppm? Obviously my nitrogen cycle has gone through the entire process once.

Also, I'm not quite sure you entirely read my original post.

I have 3 fish as it is now, how did you think I started the nitrogen cycle?

Well I have seen ammonia spikes and nitrite spikes as late as 2 months into the cycle and that was after I saw the initial ones.

As for the number of fish, just remeber when you think the tank is ready, add fish slowly so the bacteria don't get overloaded and cause another spike of either or both.

Nitrogen cycles are started in many different ways. Most aquarists here will not cycle with fish at all. They use small doses of ammonia and fish food to cycle their tanks. I cycled my latest tank with nothing but fish food. It took 3 months and went through 3 ammonia spikes and 2 nitrite spikes.

Do a search on cycling and you will see what I mean. There is a ton of information but most of them talk about 2-3 months. You could be one of the lucky ones and it took much less time. If so, congrats.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Ironic you say that, because as of 11PM tonight, my ammonia went from barely detectable back up to .25ppm. My nitrites are still at 0 and my nitrate is at 5.0ppm.

When i first began my cycle, I went fishless for about a month and my levels were obviously ok, I added 3 Tiger Barbs and went through all the spikes, its been almost 3 months now since i first setup my tank and I occasionally still get mini cycles, going through one right now actually, my PH and ammonia fluctuated a little bit and then wet back to normal after a water change, I noticed it happens alot when new fish are added, and considering its a 10 gallon any new fish stress the whole eco system out lol

Thanks for that post!

As of 12PM today, my Ammonia is at .25 and Nitrates are still at 5.0ppm. Nitrites are 0ppm.

I will do a water change in the next 24 hours if I do not see the ammonia dropping and turning into Nitrites. I have still yet to test for anything higher than 0ppm Nitrites, yet I have 5.0ppm Nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom