Cycled tank ready for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I know the answer to this question, but wanted confirmation from some with more expertise than I. We are upgrading to a 75 gallon tank from a 20. We have been working on cycling it for almost a month and last Sunday we saw our first traces of Nitrates. Testing yesterday indicated between 5-10 ppm of nitrates. Our ammonia and nitrites have been 0 all along (I seeded with the filter cartridge from the 20 gallon tank). We have been doing a fish-in cycle - with about 15 danios, so I have been testing daily for ammonia and never saw anything detectable.

So now that I have the nitrates I am figuring I am about ready to start adding the fist from the 20 gallon into the new tank to join their friends. The new tank has 3 danios, 4 tiger barbs, 2 mollies, 3 speckled cory cats, 1 albino cory cat, and a Pleco.

So how should I move the fish? Should I move one species at a time and wait 3-4 days for the bb to catch up in the 75 gallon? Or will it be safe to move them all at once now that I have bb in my filters?

If it makes any difference I have 2 Aqueon 55/75 filters, each with some extra Polyfiber pad in the back of the filter (I have a total of 2 cartridges that came with the filter, and the other 2 slots are filled with the same polyfiber padding).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I think it would be safer to move the fish in stages, as you described, testing all the while. It's quite possible that your tank has enough bacteria to support the full compliment of fish, but I've seen people on here struggle after adding too many fish at once in a newly cycled tank.

I'd add a species at a time and monitor for about a week or so, if the ammonia and nitrite levels stay down then you can add the next species. The BB need time to multiply and match the waste rate in the tank (often refered to as bio-load).

Agreed with everyone here. Especially with species at a time. Starting with the most territorial, in my opinion. I personally would recommend adding no more than 3 fish per week to ensure you don't shock your biological filter. Right now it's very delicate. :fish2:

Hope this helps!

Agreed with everyone here. Especially with species at a time. Starting with the most territorial, in my opinion. I personally would recommend adding no more than 3 fish per week to ensure you don't shock your biological filter. Right now it's very delicate. :fish2:

Hope this helps!
Its actually better to add the more territorial fish in last so they dont have time to establish a territory. But other than that I agree with you :)

Yeah, I couldn't remember which goes which, sorry about that. I've not started a new tank in ages lol

Sent from my 831C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom