Cycling 40 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlwright1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal hex front tank which is being cycled. I have a caribesea substrate with a biostone. I have a section that is a sand like gravel. I have a piece of driftwood as well as some java ferns, micro swords, a couple of swords, lobelia cardinalis, ludwigia ovalis. I have a 40 gal tetra whisper filter and a 20 gal bio wheel that's from my old tank. I also have an air stone. I'm going to be adding co2 to the tank in the next few days.

I'm about a week and a half into the cycle. I have 3 danios which are a carry over from my old tank. I've been supplementing with some liquid ammonia.

The parameters I'm seeing are:

Ammonia typically is 0 each day
Nitrite - 2
Nitrates - 20
PH - varies but has been 8

I did a little over 10% water change yesterday and it did little to the nitrites but brought the ph down to around 6.8.

I wanted to know if this is typical of a cycle.

wl...

If you cycle a tank with fish, you don't add ammonia. Ammonia will kill fish. You can cycle the tank with the Danios. You need 3 to 4 for every 10 gallons of water. You feed the fish a little every day or two and test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove 25 percent of the water and replace it with water treated with an additive to remove chlorine and chloramine. Test daily and change the water. In a month or so you'll have several tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite. The tank cycled. Then, you change half the water every week for the life of the tank to maintain steady water conditions.

B

Thanks for replying. I seem to be having an issue with ph. I am using a dechloranator. Tetra easy balance. Is there something else that can assist in regulating ph. I know water changes will help.

What other fish would be good for cycling? I was hoping to have kuhli loaches, Cory cats, some other danios, blue ram/ or betta and some other fish tbd.

wl...

Don't worry about the pH. Unless you keep and want to breed rare fish, it's not important if you have acidic or basic water. Just use the additive. No other chemicals are needed. Concentrate on the information I gave you earlier. Make sure you're following the steps, especially the number of fish needed to cycle the tank. If you don't have enough, you'll delay the cycle. Danios are a good choice. Just make sure you have the right number.

Once the tank is cycled, you can make plans for other fish. Don't get ahead of yourself on this and in a few weeks, you'll have the beginning of a healthy tank.

B

So I got new fish and soon after my ammonia is 0 and Nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are showing about 40 so I'm going to do a 25% wc. Do you think after that it would be cycled or should I continue to monitor. Ammonia and nitrites have been 0 for 4 days now.

So I got new fish and soon after my ammonia is 0 and Nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are showing about 40 so I'm going to do a 25% wc. Do you think after that it would be cycled or should I continue to monitor. Ammonia and nitrites have been 0 for 4 days now.

I'd give it at least a week of checking daily before adding any new fish, and then only a few at a time.

Back
Top Bottom